Tikka WSM long action magazines

Tikkamike

I have recently struck an interest in Noslers proprietary cartridges and I like the looks of the 33 Nosler. I have a 338 win that doesnt shoot all that great so its the perfect candidate for a rebarrel. The issue I have is the fat case need a WSM width magazine but in a long action. I know there are mods you can do, but I would rather find an aftermarket I can purchase. Does anyone know of someone who makes them?

Not too long ago I got two of the 5 round Mt Tactical Tikka T3 machined aluminum magazines for my 300 WSM that will be throated long for 200-230 gr bullets for a long action throat

Internal dimension measures 3.4" with a dial caliper .... BUT due to the machined aluminum having a round contoured back instead of flat, it pushes the cartridge forward about .050" -.060" , I seated 143 gr Eld bullets long in five 26 Nosler cases and kept pushing bullet deeper until the rounds fit and functioned in the mag ....

3.330" was max length where the Eld bullet worked without catching or jamming, anything longer than that was no go ! the plastic tip most likely helps slide and not gall up, an open tip hp bullet may need to be seated a bit deeper to prevent galling and binding up, haven't tried it yet

Couple issues with using Nosler cases that are directly related to length of the brass case ....

Due to the length, the cartridge doesn't tip back like the WSM and runs straight into the edge in the front of the magazine causing stoppage, relatively easy fix by filing a half moon notch in the magazine, have done it with other mags ..

the other issue is not correctable, due to much longer length of the Nosler case vs WSM , you can't run more than 4 rounds in the 5 round mags, after the 4th round the spring is compressed at max and cartridge will not go into mag more than halfway, it stops and any effort to push it in just binds it up and jams .....

with stamped sheet metal mags you can bend and reshape feed lips until you find the sweet spot to feed cartridges perfectly, I've done that with the long Seekins mag in my 338 Edge and AR15 mags in my 375 Hog Stomper . The problem here is the Mt. Tactical Tikka WSM mags are made from solid stock aluminum machined into shape , bending the thin feed lips will cause them to weaken and possibly break off, filing material off on the feed lips is hit and miss and if doesn't work you just destroyed the magazine ....

Running 4 rounds will work just fine after filing a halfmoon notch in top front of the magazine box and should work great with 180 gr and lighter bullets seated to a coal at 3.320" or shorter ......
a 180 gr Swift A-Frame bullet in a 30 Nosler slummed into a Tikka as a general purpose hunting rifle with 4 round capacity mags should have you covered for all the big game in North America and a bunch in Africa

** EDIT** my apologies , I re read your post and you're talking 33 Nosler, for some reason I first saw 30 Nosler, the max lengths still apply and with the diameter of bullet making the case mouth even lower you definitely have to file away a deeper halfmoon notch over the 26 Nosler I tested... **

pushing that red stop sign button then sliding the bottom plate forward disassembles the mag for easy cleaning and inspection, pretty cool

Magazines will work great for the intended purpose, 300 WSM loaded long with 200 -230 gr bullets

IMG_0878.JPG
IMG_0880.JPG
IMG_0863.JPG

Last edited:
I have recently struck an interest in Noslers proprietary cartridges and I like the looks of the 33 Nosler. I have a 338 win that doesnt shoot all that great so its the perfect candidate for a rebarrel. The issue I have is the fat case need a WSM width magazine but in a long action. I know there are mods you can do, but I would rather find an aftermarket I can purchase. Does anyone know of someone who makes them?
For a long action chambering ditch the Tikka and get a 700 Action.
3.65" plus is what you'll need with vlds.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.