Tikka wsm in long action mag magazine

dakotakidd

I'm thinking of a t3x superlite in 300wsm. Drop it in a manners, new aluminum bottom metal, and yodave trigger spring. Maybe some cerakote to spruce it up.

Probably been asked before but has anyone used a long action bolt stop and a long action magnum magazine to load 300 wsm out longer? I know people do it with standard bolt face cartridges but the wsm is a little larger diameter than the 7 or 300 mags if I'm not mistaken.

Anyone tried it? Let me know.

Tagging in to hear others experiences.
I bought a used T3X 300 Win mag with the express intent of rebarreling with a Proof 6.5 or 7mm sendero Light to build a 6.5 PRC or a 7 SAUM. Based on others reports, I think it will work.

I'd like a bottom metal from mountain tactical but I think I'll stick with the factory mags. I'm guessing you're talking AI mags? I'm just not a fan of a mag sticking out on a hunting rifle.

That's defiantly something to look into. Anyone know approximate oal to get close to the lands on a factory tikka? I've never loaded for one and have only owned one in 6.5 cm briefly.

Just a quick confirmation on this thread I found with the search function. Can you guys confirm that the factory tikka long magnum magazine will cycle the WSM family of cartridges? For example, if I was to change the bolt stop, bottom metal and magazine on a tikka T3 300wsm to magnum long action parts to accommodate longer bullets. Will this work? Anything I'm missing here?

only issue I have with tikka's for the 300wsm-- guys are using them for longer mag lengths--which usually means heavier bullets -- but darn Tikka is stuck on the 1:11 twist for the .308's which limits the use on some of the heavy .308 bullets out there

now if you are gonna re-barrel then by all means

the factory tikka LA mags will function with SAUM cartridges, but the WSM is slightly fatter and hangs up pretty good. I've run the SAUM in a couple of mags and it's doable, but I'm going to relieve the inside a couple thou on each side to provide a little clearance. the factory SA WSM mags are indeed wider on the inside than the factory LA mags. And the 5rd LA mags only hold 4rds of SAUM, so the same for WSM. The billet mags that are being made are good to go, but NO ONE WILL MAKE A TIKKA PATTERN 5RD WSM MAG!!!!!! I sure wish they would

the factory tikka LA mags will function with SAUM cartridges, but the WSM is slightly fatter and hangs up pretty good. I've run the SAUM in a couple of mags and it's doable, but I'm going to relieve the inside a couple thou on each side to provide a little clearance. the factory SA WSM mags are indeed wider on the inside than the factory LA mags. And the 5rd LA mags only hold 4rds of SAUM, so the same for WSM. The billet mags that are being made are good to go, but NO ONE WILL MAKE A TIKKA PATTERN 5RD WSM MAG!!!!!! I sure wish they would
I have built 2 tikkas, 28nosler and 300wsm and have had good luck with the mags feeding. My buddy has a 300wsm also and no issues. It is only about .005" from SAUM to wsm body diameter so would a very light filing help?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.