tikka t3 mag problems

shooter53

hi guys im wondering if any of you have had the same trouble with the tikka t3 mags, my problem is if i slowly and quietly push the bolt forward to take a shot the bullet jams between the mag and top of the chamber somewhere also some times it does not pick up at all i have had this rifle 16 years i have 3 mags 2x4 capacity 1x6 capacity all react similar, if i chamber hard and quickly it cuts the chances of this down most of my shooting is foxs at night which ive shot 1000s so this problem is annoying oh sorry .222 cal s/s heavey barrel home loads rem brass v/max 50grn heads , also the 6 mag which was bought from a gun store i cant see any difference in size to the 4 mag is this right thanks guys stay safe

I've found that most magazines benefit from "tuning ". There are some decent you tube videos. It's generally about 4 things. Smoothing the bottom edges of the feed lips, changing the width of the feed lip openings, altering spring tension and changing the fore and aft amount of spring tension. If I'm understanding correctly, you have 2 problems. 1, the tip of the bullet noses up as you feed the cartridge forward and 2, the bolt passes over the top of the cartridge without contacting the case base. It's a bit hard to diagnose without seeing but it sounds like you have 2 things to fix. The feed lip opening at the aft end is too narrow and doesn't allow the case to sit high enough to allow thebolt to engage enough of the case base. Also, the feed lip space at the front is too wide and allowing the bullet to nose up too soon. You may have too much spring tension in general as well. I'd start by expanding the feed lip space at the aft end. A little goes a long way. Again, I may be misunderstanding your issue. Check out some videos on tuning magazines before doing anything.

hi guys im wondering if any of you have had the same trouble with the tikka t3 mags, my problem is if i slowly and quietly push the bolt forward to take a shot the bullet jams between the mag and top of the chamber somewhere also some times it does not pick up at all i have had this rifle 16 years i have 3 mags 2x4 capacity 1x6 capacity all react similar, if i chamber hard and quickly it cuts the chances of this down most of my shooting is foxs at night which ive shot 1000s so this problem is annoying oh sorry .222 cal s/s heavey barrel home loads rem brass v/max 50grn heads , also the 6 mag which was bought from a gun store i cant see any difference in size to the 4 mag is this right thanks guys stay safe
Not a Tikka, but I had a full custom rifle that had a similar issue as yours when I first had it back. My gunsmith had a handy tool that he used to tune the lip of the magazine. It was GTG after that. @bill123 has provided you with very useful links that are worth a try. Good luck!

I've found that most magazines benefit from "tuning ". There are some decent you tube videos. It's generally about 4 things. Smoothing the bottom edges of the feed lips, changing the width of the feed lip openings, altering spring tension and changing the fore and aft amount of spring tension. If I'm understanding correctly, you have 2 problems. 1, the tip of the bullet noses up as you feed the cartridge forward and 2, the bolt passes over the top of the cartridge without contacting the case base. It's a bit hard to diagnose without seeing but it sounds like you have 2 things to fix. The feed lip opening at the aft end is too narrow and doesn't allow the case to sit high enough to allow thebolt to engage enough of the case base. Also, the feed lip space at the front is too wide and allowing the bullet to nose up too soon. You may have too much spring tension in general as well. I'd start by expanding the feed lip space at the aft end. A little goes a long way. Again, I may be misunderstanding your issue. Check out some videos on tuning magazines before doing anything.
Thanks ever so much will check out
Not a Tikka, but I had a full custom rifle that had a similar issue as yours when I first had it back. My gunsmith had a handy tool that he used to tune the lip of the magazine. It was GTG after that. @bill123 has provided you with very useful links that are worth a try. Good luck!
thanks feenix

I had this issue with an earlier t3x (plastic shroud, non-modular stock) in 308. Infrequent but persistent.

I compressed the front of the follower (spring actually but by pressing on the follower) and held it for about 2 minutes. It was the first thing I ever messed on my first firearm. Unfortunately lead me to believe all gun fiddle-fking would be that easy 😂.
Works great and still feeds flawlessly fast or slow.

Possibly a real tight sizing die, which would allow the mag lips to release the forward moving case to early allowing the bullet to tip up and over the chamber entrance. You could J&B the lips and sand tune to correct the early release issue. Maybe easier to only neck size.

I had this only with reloads. Factory loads with heavier bullets fed fine 100% of the time. When I went to lighter (shorter) bullets and started fudging with distance to the lands, only then did I start having fairly consistent feed problems. So I took factory rounds and measured them, made my reloads the exact same length and voila all is good. But that took my load from a 1/2moa to over 1moa just by changing the OAL of the cartridge.

I had a problem with my tikka CTR mags (2). The last bullet tip in the mag would not be high enough to hit the ramp to chamber. Used the tool to open the front lips of mag a little wider. Solved my problem