tikka t3 284win vs 280 vs 280ai

I did a quick check over at Midway USA site. No brass, but loaed ammo is available with 150 & 160 gr in the 7mm Rem Short Action Ultra Mag. The 150 is listed at 3000fps and the 160 is 2850. You may or may not lose more than 25-40 fps from your 22" Tikka. Seems viable to me, and much more gain than the 7mm08. Let us know what you end up with!

The 284 Norma brass is available at bullets.com, the 7 Saum is a very good option also, I set them up with a 3.070 coal with a 180 Berger VLD which seats them nicely and mid 2900's in a 24 inch tube.

I thought about the 7mm08ai but dont think would be enough difference in performance to justify the cost of fireforming brass
and if i get 2-300fps gain with .284win /280 even with a 22" barrel which i think is easly done.
this would take me out to 1000yards with over 1000ft-lb
my current 7mm08 runs out of puff at 700yard

The 280 and 284 have appr 67/66gr H20 capacity. The 280AI and 7SUAM have appr 74/73.5 gr H20 capacity.

If you know that you can get that extra 200/300fps with that barrel then you should do that.

I think the practical thing to do would be to go with the .280 but i'm leaning towards the 280ai or .284 as i can always get a longer barrel if i don't achieve my goals any way

I was in a toss up between the 284win and the 280ai. In the end I went with the AI for a couple reasons. Brass and a slight powder capacity advantage, not to mention the fact I already had the dies for the AI. As far as I'm concerned they are all great cartridges with no slouch in the bunch!

I chose 284 for my T3. No issues at all to report. Debating ballistic performance between each of the mentioned choices is not a good use of time. The differences between each are mere inches at 1k and barrel life between all will not be discernable with any statistical certainty. Driving factors for the choice should be getting ahold of a reamer, brass, and dies.

I chose 284 for my T3. No issues at all to report. Debating ballistic performance between each of the mentioned choices is not a good use of time. The differences between each are mere inches at 1k and barrel life between all will not be discernable with any statistical certainty. Driving factors for the choice should be getting ahold of a reamer, brass, and dies.

good advise thanks mate ive ordered some brass for .284 and dies.
you made up my mind i want to run high b.c pills need the space

Good choice....those long bullets are sweet! I imagine there are more 22" factory rifles made in ( or were made) in .284 than longer ones. Good speeds await you! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts