Tikka Help Needed

Catskills

I'm a huge T3x fan and the have found they have been the easiest to load rifles I've ever owned. A 30-06, 270, 270wsm and 22-250 are all 1/2 moa guns with handloads, and all will shoot just about any factory ammo moa or better. All took minimal effort.
I picked up a 7mm-08 and have simply been unable to get it to shoot. Yes, it's properly bedded in a factory stock, and it's properly torqued. The crown looks good. I've swapped out the scope and rings to make sure that wasn't the problem. Factory Remington 140s shoot 2-21/2". Handloads using 139 spire points and 140 partitions and Big Game shoot 3" (I've tried different primers including magnums). I've tried multiple powder combinations and seating depths, all to know avail.
I've been thinking perhaps it doesn't like flat base bullets so I'll try some Ballistic Tips next. If that fails, I'll give H4350 a go. If H4350 fails, I'll probably send it down the road…..
Any suggestions? I really had high hopes for this rifle.

"Properly bedded"? I don't really know what a properly bedded Tikka looks like. Can you describe what has been done with your other guns, and the 7mm-08? My T3-Lite uses a stainless lug that stays in the stock when you remove the receiver. When I was looking to bed it years ago, the internet advice was totally mixed and pretty much negative for the plastic stocks at least.

I assume you have made sure that the stock is not contacting barrel somewhere, ie free floated. No one put a sling stud and left it proud inside and touching the barrel.....

Purchased new or used? If used, borescope? You may have a gun shot far more than you realize or a carbon ring etc. Since you have poor groups with three different bullets over multiple powders, I don't think there is a magic "bullet" pardon the pun that will solve your problem......

I bought my Tikka from a friend who tired of the high cost of 6.5x55 factory loads. Its also did not shoot particularly well with factory. I am just under 1 moa with my current over the book load combo. Not great, but a shooter. Tikka's have a good reputation for being at worst a decent shooter. I'd bet there is something wrong you are not finding. 3" groups are just unheard of.

By properly bedded I meant with the recoil lug properly engaged. Yes, it is floated like the others are. I bought it new. I have not looked with a bore scope. There is no issue with sling stud.

Maybe you've got a bum barrel? Even tikka will put out the occasional bad barrel. For $100 or so personally I'd buy a tikka take off barrel in your caliber of choice and give that a shot. Better yet, pull the barrel and slap a good prefit on there in something fun like a 22 creedmoor. Even if you have a crap barrel the action is excellent and well worth keeping and trying something different with.

First things to look at when a gun doesn't shoot especially a Tikka
1. Proven Scope
2. Proper Torque on scope mounts and rings
3. Action screws need to be torqued to 44inlbs
All that said out of 8 Tikkas only one that has ever given me grief is my wife's 7mm-08 Compact. So far all I have found to be accurate is 139 Interlock in Hornadys Whitetail special factory or 150gr Nosler accubonds over Varget. With a 20in barrel it pushes the AB at 2750 with a max load under an in at 200. Possible that it loves heavier bullets but im happy with that load and don't see the need to change. I will stay that it DOES NOT like super high bc style bullets like Berger VLDs. Can't seat them out long enough before it won't fit in the mag.

1 through 3 are checked. I will change powder next…and try some boat tails as well. I too would be content with 150s at at 2750 out of your short tube. I stock 120 TTSX and 160 Accubonds and SGK. I'm unwilling to burn my stash of Accubonds or TTSX on a problem rifle (saving those for the STW).

I have one, found hand loads will work. But need them loaded long. Needed new magazines and a long action bolt stop.

I agree changing the barrel would work. With the tika it's a long action, with the
short action bolt stop. You can change to any caliber in the 30 cal bolt face.

Some info

Attachments

• IMG_7115.jpeg
    IMG_7115.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7114.jpeg
    IMG_7114.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 25
Try IMR 4064 with your 139 Spire Points or 140 BT... you'll be happy you did!
Around 43 gr IMR 4064 with 139 SP and 140 NBT.
Around 45 gr Varget with 120 NBT.
Around 45-46gr H4350 with 162 A-Max
These shoot great in 20",21" and 24" barrels.

Remember... Work up as these are all near, at, or over max!

Thanks everyone. Partial update. This rifle likes 140g Ballistic Tips. 47.5g of Big game with a 210M primer and a 2.788 COAL shot this 3 shot group today. I'm quite surprised at how much it disliked flat base bullets with Big Game. I've got a couple hundred Interlocks and a hundred or so partitions so will play around with H4350, I4350 and Varget to see if they will shoot.

Now that I know the rifle will shoot, I also want to play around with 160SGK to see if quickload is right about what RL26 can do.

Attachments

• IMG_0334.jpeg
    IMG_0334.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21