Tikka 7mm-08

The recoil lug on the 7-08's are no different then any other T3 ever made. Before the T3X the recoil lugs were made of aluminum and could occasionally get a little deformed. The T3X are all steel recoil lugs. If you have a T3 and want to put in a steel lug it's like a 18.00 fix.

To answer, the blurs, Question,..
The "other Problem" with, Tikka's, specifically in 7M-08, is that, the Leade Angle is STEEP at, 3* and NOT, the Typical 1*- 30 Min. that, most Chamber's, have. My son rented, a Reamer and Hand Reamed / Polished, his 7mm barrel's chamber to, the better Leade Angle to shoot, the Higher BC, / Longer, VLD "type" Bullets with, a Tangent Ogive design !
SAAMI spec for a 7mm-08 is a 3 degree lead with .119 free bore. I would think all factory barrels would be SAAMI spec.

Maybe it identified itself as a CM ;) It could of been a barrel issue. One new production rifle I had to QC wouldn't shoot. I borescoped it and it was missing sections of rifling. "Who let Carl run the rifling machines today?"
If it identified as a cm then it would digest anything it's fed not a hard round to get to shoot accurately

Selfish request. I want a Tikka 7-08, 24 inch barrel 1-9 twist, good stock and trigger. Ready to shoot. Too old to wait years for custom. Any suggestions?

Selfish request. I want a Tikka 7-08, 24 inch barrel 1-9 twist, good stock and trigger. Ready to shoot. Too old to wait years for custom. Any suggestions?
Find a smith that will spin you up a prefit, order a stock (ag composites or Stockys is doing some nice tikka stocks) put a new trigger spring in the factory trigger and your off to the races. Probably have everything in 12 ish weeks right now.

SAAMI spec for a 7mm-08 is a 3 degree lead with .119 free bore. I would think all factory barrels would be SAAMI spec.
@ Rflshooter,..
Yup, probably, wondering could they all, BE 3* or, did Tikka, change to a better Leade angle, later, as "some" owners, have had, NO, "Problems" with, VLDS ??
That sammi Chamber, ( with, 3* Leade ), DIDN'T "work" well, for my Son with, Horn 162's or, Berger 168's ( all other, Tangent ogive, Bullets, Fine )
Personally, I think, you'd better have, PERFECT, Zero concentricity "Run-out" on the VLD type of, Bullet, with, that, 3* leade, angle.
Anyway NOT my "Issue" as ALL my Rifles have, the better Leade angles and shoot approx., 1/2 Moa when, the load is, finally, "Tuned" !
3/4 MOA on MY,.. "Bad Days" with, ALL, 3, Tikka Rifles,.. .243Win, 6.5 Creed and .270 WSM.
And, my son is, finally happy with, his Tikka 7-08 and the 168 grain, Long Range, Elk load !

Last edited:
@ Rflshooter,..
Yup, probably, wondering could they all, BE 3* or, did Tikka, change to a better Leade angle, later, as "some" owners, have had, NO, "Problems" with, VLDS ??
That sammi Chamber, ( with, 3* Leade ), DIDN'T "work" well, for my Son with, Horn 162's or, Berger 168's ( all other, Tangent ogive, Bullets, Fine )
Personally, I think, you'd better have, PERFECT, Zero concentricity "Run-out" on the VLD type of, Bullet, with, that, 3* leade, angle.
Anyway NOT my "Issue" as ALL my Rifles have, the better Leade angles and shoot approx., 1/2 Moa when, the load is, finally, "Tuned" !
3/4 MOA on MY,.. "Bad Days" with, ALL, 3, Tikka Rifles,.. .243Win, 6.5 Creed and .270 WSM.
And, my son is, finally happy with, his Tikka 7-08 and the 168 grain, Long Range, Elk load !
It's hard to say what Tikka did with their chamber specs and I'm not sure if they'd tell you if someone were to ask. Maybe their barrels have gotten better over time. That being said, it goes back to "every barrel is different". One might like this and one might like that.
The SAAMI for a 243 Win, 270 WSM and the 6.5 Creedmoor is indeed 1° 30'. The 284 Win and the standard 270 Win both have a 0°47'33" lead. The 308 Win is 1°45'. How they came up with the different throat angles is beyond my expertise.

Last edited:
Love my Tikka in 7-08. Only mod I elected is a larger mag to hold 5+1. Haven't had to do any work on it to make it shoot good. Here's a 6 shot group of 150 ELDX factory ammo at 200yds from a few weeks ago.

Mine is a compact rifle with 1:9.5 twist with a 20" blued barrel. Going to work up some hand loads and get some better velocities.

IMG_2226.jpeg

The 150 ELD-X's shot, very WELL, for my son, too ! Penetrated deeply / Mushroomed, NICELY, on his, Bull Elk !
And ,.. I Highly, Recommend, them ! I'm working up Loads for, the 143 gr. ELD-X, in my new, 6.5 Creed ( one of the best for, the 6,5's,.. IMO )
But, he wanted, HIGHER BC's,. Thus the start of, all his,.. "Troubles" ! ( and his education, on Chambers / Bullets, began ).
Most of, the140-150 grain, AccuBonds, Bal-Tips, Game kings, Eld-X's, etc., will work just, FINE, in Tikka, 7-08's !
As, easier to, Tune !

Last edited:
Son and I were talking about, him buying either, a 6.5 Creed or, 7-08 for, my grandson ( he now has my .243 Win ) for an, Elk Rifle.
I urged him to buy, a Tikka, 7 mm -08 ( Brake it ) and RUN, his old, Leftover, 150 ELD-X's !