Tikka 6.5 PRC build

Actually I see it completely opposite. A deeper chamber will be larger in the base of chamber. Your brass will fireform slightly bigger in diameter which would allow normal sizing dies to size them down. Then they will have the clearance they need. Just my opinion.
Shep

Your build list looks fine....in fact, it is very close to own build list for my Tikka 6.5 PRC. A couple of notes: the ballistics on your 6.5 PRC, coupled with the elevation range provided by the Leupold VX5 HD are going to get you out to 1000 yds without the need for a 20MOA rail. So some possible savings there, unless you plan on going beyond 1000 yds. Secondly, one of the more daunting tasks will be the removal of the factory barrel. They are spun on really tight. Send me a PM with your telephone number and I can share with you what I have learned about getting the factory barrel off.

I'll do that, I was planning on a 20 moa rail. I was looking at the Mark 5 not the VX 5, so it has a 120moa range.

Ya the barrels are exceptionally difficult to remove if you're trying to save it. I started out thinking I was going to save the barrel but after about an hour messing with it I decided it wasn't worth it. I then went at it with my action wrench and a pipe wrench on the barrel and still couldn't move it. I was afraid to take a torch to it because I didn't have any experience with that and didn't want to mess anything up. I ended up taking my Dremel with the cutoff wheel and making a relief cut about 1/8" deep all the way around about 1/16" forward of the shoulder. A quick pop with the action wrench/ pipe wrench combo and it came right off.

Man I have a SAC barrel vice with Tikka sporter insert, inside action wrench from bug holes. I apply a fair amount of trq to the action wrench, then put my big crescent on the outside flats of the action, breaks loose. All 3 tikkas have broken loose pretty easily.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.