Tikka 338 Edge?

pyroducksx3

So this is more of a initial inquizitive probe. I have a tikka t3 lite in 300wsm. I also recently got a rem 700 in 7 rem mag in an hs stock and set up pretty close to the way I like it. With these rounds so close to performance and I've never really been that happy with the tikka, I have had a thought. I would better off selling or building the tikka into something else but stock options have limited the tikka, manners seems like the only real other option. Then I see this stock option " XLR Industries | Tactical Innovation Redefined " So my big question is can you make the Tikka T3 using this xlr stock/chassis into a repeating 338 edge (hopefully actually the edge +P) and would it be worth it vs selling it off and starting with another action. The tikka wsm has the right bolt face and all tikkas are on long actions but long enough for the 338 edge? No matter what it will be a year or more till I can start on this project but was still trying to get a head start on what I want to do. Thanks

It's nice owning and experimenting with various makes and models. Most of the usual models can be great shooters.

However, there is also a benefit to owning several rifles of the same make/model for exchanging parts such as triggers, bases, stocks, etc.

-- richard

I looked into this one of my Tikkas about a year ago. The mag opening is large enough but the ejection port is too small to eject a loaded round using vlds.

If you are willing to modify the action, I bet it would be a great shooter!

Any smiths reading this think they can make it work? The more I look at this the more it seems the tikka isn't really a good platform because the market is already pretty dominated

Ok here's the gig on customizing a tikka. When u rebarrel it you have them put a remington style recoil lug on. Mcmillian and manners make stocks for them and at least with mcmillan you just have them inlet for a "holland" style recoil lug, And not the drop in L shaped recoil lug. I would say to make a 338 campfire (338-375 ruger) this would work with a 300 win mag magazine. Same ballistics as a 330 dakota. Make a google search for " tikka rem recoil lug" and you will see what I'm talking about. I'm having a tikka 595 done this way and it should be pretty good.

I built 2 t3 tikkas in 338 sin and I would say that is the largest cartridge you can do. We are getting the same ballistics from the sin as most get from the edges but has norma brass available.

I have been watching your 338 sin thread with interest thinking that it might be an option but who would have thought you work on Tikkas, cool thanks. What other work have you had to do to the actions, reusing or anything, and what accuracy have you been seeing? Thank you

I read threw this and am very interested. How much would it cost to set back a 338 barrel vs a new barrel?

Do you have dies to sell as well?

Im just trying to compare the cost to building a 338 edge.

Thanks!

You would save 3-500 depending on what barrel you bought. And yes I make dies for this, I am working on a a set of dies to have available using redding type s parts. I just ordered a Ruger 77 mkII that I will be building a 338 Sin into and that will sell for under $1,000 with a set of dies and it is SS with lam stock.

Sinarms,
So is my limiting factor ( what's keeping me from using the edge) the ability to eject an unfired round? Or the magazine? If I do this either with the 338 sin (or the edge if possible) I will be using the Xlr chassis which let's me use magazines long enough for the edge so the magazine limiting factor is really not concerning me. And if it's the ejection port that is too small can that be safely modified? Thank you

The ejection port is very small and I don't think you will be able to open up the bottom enough to use the mags without taking away strength from the action. There isn't to much to the actions once you start milling out on them. I don't have one on hand to look at but from what I remember you are pretty limited. I have never heard of anyone opening up one of the t3's so I would say that most advise against it.

Well if I decide to do this you might very well be getting my tikka to put a 27-28" heavier barrel on chambered for the 338 sin. Have you had to do any trueing to the tikka action to insure that you get the most accuracy out of it? Mine isnt one of those Tikkas that get the .3 groups, the best I've shot with it was .75 at 100 yards. The project I'm thinking about is using my tikka 300 wsm action, the Xlr chassis with detachable mag system, 28" barrel in 338 sin and using the badger fte removable muzzle break. The reason for that muzzle break is that suppressors are going to be legal here soon and I would like that option someday. Thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts