Tight Twist Barrels

nralifer

Just talked to Dan at McGowan Precision Barrels. He makes 1:7 twist barrel blanks and prefits for the .264 and .277 calibers, and can deliver them in a reasonable period of time. My only interest in this is getting the right barrel for long range bullets. I have no commercial interest in McGowan barrels.

I have several friends that use McGowan barrels on every rifle they have except the rifles that haven't worn out a barrel yet.
They love them
No really useful information here, just a comment. I had a very competent gunsmith build me a 6mm PPC on a lite sporter platform. He used an XP100 action and a gain-twist barrel (manufacturer unknown) chambered for a .262 neck cartridge.
I've never owned or shot a rifle that can even come close to the accuracy of this one. He delivered it to me with 50 loaded cartridges and the 12x Leupold mounted and sighted in. When I took my second shot a 100 yards, I thought I had missed the little target entirely. The 3rd, 4th, and 5th shots were a repeat of the same. The only sign that there had been more than one shot fired was to very closely observe that the hole was very slightly ragged at the edges. BTW, I was shooting off the hood of a pick-up truck.
So, the question was about the accuracy of a gain-twist barrel, and my answer (in my personal experience at least) is a resounding "YES~!!!

No really useful information here, just a comment. I had a very competent gunsmith build me a 6mm PPC on a lite sporter platform. He used an XP100 action and a gain-twist barrel (manufacturer unknown) chambered for a .262 neck cartridge.
I've never owned or shot a rifle that can even come close to the accuracy of this one. He delivered it to me with 50 loaded cartridges and the 12x Leupold mounted and sighted in. When I took my second shot a 100 yards, I thought I had missed the little target entirely. The 3rd, 4th, and 5th shots were a repeat of the same. The only sign that there had been more than one shot fired was to very closely observe that the hole was very slightly ragged at the edges. BTW, I was shooting off the hood of a pick-up truck.
So, the question was about the accuracy of a gain-twist barrel, and my answer (in my personal experience at least) is a resounding "YES~!!!
Gain twist barrels are very interesting. I have one in 338 LM (10-8.5) and another (9-7) in 6.5x47 and both shoot well. I think as important in accuracy is how well the chamber is aligned to the center of the bore.

I know that a 3 groove 1 in 7 twist will cause Berger 180 VLD hunting bullets to come apart due to the throat getting worn and combined with that fast twist. This happened in two barrels:

7 STW in just over 100 rounds.
7 Rem mag round count 175

Switching to 180 target with thicker jackets allowed the barrels to shoot for another 75 rounds or so, then the bullets were again being damaged with poor accuracy.

That barrel worked well with the accubond and TTSX after throat was worn enough to destroy the Bergers.

AZShooter would you consider a 3 groove barrel in a not as fast twist?
A friend has a 3 groove twist with a low round count and like's it but I didn't ask about twist.It is a 7mm saum.

I have other 3 groove barrels that lasted as long and were as accurate as other barrels. Have one on a 257 weatherby that is a screamingly fast and accurate rifle with a 1 in 10 twist.

It appears the combination of fast twist and 3 groove didn't work for long with jacketed bullets that's all.