Tight freebore in Tikka factory barrel

Tac-O

I'm about ready to throw all my rifles and shooting gear into the dumpster.

I just put on a new factory takeoff 6.5cm Tikka barrel.

I go to find the cartridge base to ogive length for shooting 140gr match burners and use my Hornady tool to do so. I sharpied up the bullet.

When I push the bullet with the rod up into the throat, it doesn't go very far. I pull it out and look and the bullet is abnormally deep in the case. I know the Tikka factory 6.5cm barrels have very long throats.

So I put it back in and push the rod a little harder and then it suddenly jumps further forward. I give it another firm push to make sure it's all the way in. I do that several times and each time it takes a firm push to get the bullet seated to the lands.

Looking inside with the scope, I see drag marks where the sharpie came off the bullet. All the way around the freebore.

Problem #1 I had with this barrel is that the headspace is short. #2 is that it seems the freebore is tight.

Maybe this barrel was reamed with a worn out reamer? How did this pass the factory test shooting and inspection?

My question is ... Has anyone had a rifle with essentially zero freebore clearance and if you did, did you shoot it and did it shoot ok? Did it give excessive pressure signs with lower charges? Group horribly?

Thinking I may need to turn this one into a tomato stake and find another.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240314-202311.png
    Screenshot_20240314-202311.png
    169.6 KB · Views: 125
  • Screenshot_20240314-202411.png
    Screenshot_20240314-202411.png
    170 KB · Views: 126
  • Screenshot_20240314-202450.png
    Screenshot_20240314-202450.png
    154.4 KB · Views: 128
I would shoot it and see. Chances are it's fine. I have had a couple creeds that felt that same way where it felt like you had to push to get the bullet thru the freebore especially if they weren't clean. Seems like Hornady bullets feel tighter than Bergers but I never have shot any match burners. I think the freebore clearance on a sammi reamer is like .0004? Could be wrong on that.

I would shoot it and see. Chances are it's fine. I have had a couple creeds that felt that same way where it felt like you had to push to get the bullet thru the freebore especially if they weren't clean. Seems like Hornady bullets feel tighter than Bergers but I never have shot any match burners. I think the freebore clearance on a sammi reamer is like .0004? Could be wrong on that.

Yes it's 0.2645 saami but the tolerance is +0.002. If the reamer was in spec then there shouldn't be any contact with the bullet.

The match burners I have measure 0.264-

I'm about ready to throw all my rifles and shooting gear into the dumpster.

I just put on a new factory takeoff 6.5cm Tikka barrel.

I go to find the cartridge base to ogive length for shooting 140gr match burners and use my Hornady tool to do so. I sharpied up the bullet.

When I push the bullet with the rod up into the throat, it doesn't go very far. I pull it out and look and the bullet is abnormally deep in the case. I know the Tikka factory 6.5cm barrels have very long throats.

So I put it back in and push the rod a little harder and then it suddenly jumps further forward. I give it another firm push to make sure it's all the way in. I do that several times and each time it takes a firm push to get the bullet seated to the lands.

Looking inside with the scope, I see drag marks where the sharpie came off the bullet. All the way around the freebore.

Problem #1 I had with this barrel is that the headspace is short. #2 is that it seems the freebore is tight.

Maybe this barrel was reamed with a worn out reamer? How did this pass the factory test shooting and inspection?

My question is ... Has anyone had a rifle with essentially zero freebore clearance and if you did, did you shoot it and did it shoot ok? Did it give excessive pressure signs with lower charges? Group horribly?

Thinking I may need to turn this one into a tomato stake and find another.
Are you sure you want another Glutton for the Punishment project? :cool: 🤣 😍

Sorry, I could not resist. Have fun with it.

It seems to never end! I figured I'd use this barrel so I could have something to shoot and maybe hunt with while my troublemaker gun is on the sidelines. I thought it'd be an easy button. I've been needing one of those!

But nope 😂 it makes me wonder.. am I being too picky and making mountains of mole hills or am I that unlucky or just plain making bad decisions?

It's time for golf again haha

I have a Savage 6 CM factory heavy contour barrel and it will not chamber the factory Hornady 103 ELD-X. Also measures very short. I have not tried to "force" a bullet into the lands but am certainly going to try. It has stuck the bullet every time I try to measure though.
It does shoot the reset factory bullets fairly well though.
Polishing the chamber would be a much better alternative to having it lengthened.

Attachments

• IMG_3794.jpeg
    IMG_3794.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 28
I'd suggest caution when using the Hornady CAOL tool. I've found it highly subjective based on the user. There are other more defined ways to make that measurement.
Also, don't assume it's tight. Measure it. Get some Cerosafe and make a cast and mic it. Then you will know what it is. Mic your bullets too.

jrock is speaking volumes in few words. Lately, I have found some what we used to call "FAT" bullets in various lots of hornady bullets. My throat dia in this particular barrel was dead nuts .2435 and the bullet measured .2435. So, there is no way that that "fat" bullet would go in this particular throat, it just pushed the bullet back in the case when you tried to chamber the round.

A good micrometer that measures to the 0.0001 is a critical part of a reloaders tool box. Igauging and Shars micrometers are good mics that do not cost a fortune.