Tight budget 30.06 build.

mrbofus

Looking for any and all advise here,
I have a Rem 700 30.06 ADL (early 90's) that has been needing some attention and this year I decided to give the old girl the attention she deserves.
I am not a long range shooter, although I would like to be. This will be a pack and carry hunting rifle with a 400 yrd personal max
I would like to keep it in an .06 and say start with $800 before glass
Stock? Barrel? Trigger? Brake?

Help me build this.

Thanks
MB

mrbofus

If you are going to limit shots to 400 yards a factory rifle with a floated barrel, bedding job and maybe a trigger tweak should be all you need - unless the barrel is shot out which I doubt you have done to an 06 used for hunting. Your basic 3 X 9 or 4 X 16 scope should be good too.

This rifle has been shoot quite a bit over the years, the factory barrel on it has a front sight and had the rear which long since removed. I think this was the mountain rifle? and a 22" barrel and the stock is a bit rough.
I would like to rebarrel to get rid of the front sight and possible a 24-26" barrel is what I was thinking?

for the money your looking to spend engineering 101 pretty much hit it on the head but if your barrel is roached then I would look into a 5r rifled barrel and new trigger then bedding and free floating a new stock would be nice also but I haven't been able to get a quality barrel,trigger and stock for 800$ I'm sure it can be done but I have yet to do it...

Now I see where you are going with this. A few years back, I had my local gunsmith put a new barrel on my Sako 30-06. I choose a 26" number 4 Kreiger heavy sporter. I had shot out the original barrel using it on everything from elk to varmits. I also had him true the action (not that a Sako needs much). He also widened the barrel channel, bedded the action and reblued the whole thing. Turned out great and the last 3-shot group at 200 yards ran 0.812". I was probably the limiting factor on that as I don't see all that good anymore. It took many months and cost me about what you mentioned. If you have your smith do all that, it will shoot better than you need.

Let me expand a bit more,
I am primary an Archery hunter where closer is better, I dont shoot over 50 yrds with my bow and have harvested many deer and Elk.
I also Rifle hunt and have harvested many deer and a few elk all under 300yrds. The 400 yr mark is a personal limit right now based on my comfort level of shooting.

The rifle in question has been a good old reliable shooter but neglected as of late. I have never liked the barrel shorter with the front sight on it, and as I said the stock could use some attention. The trigger is acceptable and seems better than my other Rems.
Because i have a REM 700 Action, I thought now would be a good time to expand on it. I do not want nor at this time need a hi dollar custom build, but I would like to get new live in the old girl therefore I was thinking building off that platform.
The $800 mark is what I would be comfortable in spending at this time and I am sure as 101 stated, with new barrel, true the action and bedding I would be more than pleased.
Barrel $$ ?
Stock $$?
Trigger recomendations?

Thanks

I don't think you need to change the stock or trigger to shoot the distances you mentioned. Just put a stainless Kreiger with 5R rifling on it. I'd recommend 26 inches. Have your smith duracoat (or his favorite coating) the action in flat black and bed in your stock.

If the stock is really beat up as you said and you want to change it then do so - but that will blow your budget. Generally the more you spend, the better they get. I have an Accurate Innovations in English black walnut that is really pretty. It has a hand rubbed oil finish but also has a full length aluminum bedding block so is quite functional. It also costs about the price of a new Savage. I have an HS Precision, again with the aluminum bedding block. See what your smith has that you can try for fit and feel before you buy. But better yet, just patch up the old stock.

There is several ways to spend $800

In order of importance. These are not the places to scrimp on quality.
-Decent barrels cost $350 delivered
-Installation $300 average price
-Pillar bedding $150 to $200

For accuracy the following cost a lot for what you see on paper.
-trigger tuned or replaced $35 to $225
-single point action truing about $250
-Heavy duty recoil lug $35 to $50.

Budget is blown before you get the basics. Unless it's really out of whack truing an action brings almost nothing to the accuracy table for the dollar. The crown, bedding and barrel are far more important. If you're crafty doing the bedding your self can save you some money. LRI might be able to achieve your basic goals of the trued up action and new barrel closer to your $800 budget if he has a special going on.

You really don't need a custom barrel to reach $400 yards effectively.
I would inspect that barrel to be sure it's doesn't have any major issues. Cut a nice new crown on it. While it's in the lathe the front sight can be removed. Then coat the barrel to make it look fresh as it will shoot. A 30-06 doesn't need much length to burn it's powder. A 22" will do the job real nice. Even if I was changing it I would recommend a 24" for this caliber. 300 Win Mag and up then the 26" helps.

Honestly just cleaning and crowning your barrel, free floating and pillar bedding your walnut stock. (no plastic) and adjusting your trigger to a crisp 3 pounds should get you to 400 real easy an still have 400 to 600 left over for a CDS type scope.

Consider a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock or take off Sendero free floated and bedded. The stock shape and construction makes the rifle easier to shoot accurately. An adjustable cheek piece helps with stock fit and will help minimize parallax errors. If anything is left consider a Timney or Rifle Basix trigger too. This should be close to your budget and achieve your goals.

Just some things your post makes me think of.

I am actually getting ready to do my first upgrades to an old 270 Win. Here's the quote from the gunsmith.

Hart Barrel with 1:8 twist-$320 delivered
Barrel instal-Chambered, threads, crown $360
Lugs/boltface lapped-$45
Scope rings lapped/scope mounted-$45
Glass bedded-$115
Cerakote-$215
Total-$1110
Putting it all in a Mcmillan...$$$$

If you just buy a barrel and have it spun on you are at your budget.
You could send the barrel and action to Hart and in 9 months/$700 later you would have a barreled action ready for paint and bedding. Any time you look at a new barrel, you are looking at quality labor-that ain't cheap.

If she still shoots I would agree with Hired Gun. You will have a "new looking" rifle that shoots and you are at a few hundred bucks under budget for better glass, or brass, or bullets, or powder...these hobbies get spendy.

Like I said these are my first upgrades (and really new to it all also) and I am trying to do mine on a budget and it has been blown way out.

The things you can skimp on really aren't that much cheaper if you do them yourself. It's the metal work that costs and unless you know a gunsmith willing to work for free, there really isn't any way around it.

Saw this post because I wanted to do the same thing you are (give it a face lift) and have spent more than I wanted to but in the end I think it will be worth it and besides every hunter deserves at least one good rifle...

Hope it all works out.
Shane

Last edited:
Thanks for the input here guys.
I am really unsure of what to do within the budget I have set but I want to do something with it. I quess I will have to squirrel away a bit more cash.

I have the original walnut stock that I am in the process of refinishing and I also have a Boyds LA Thumbhole that Recently aquired in a trade so there are a couple options for now I guess.
I will inquire at the smith and get some barrel options and go from there.
One reason why I brought this up is because I discussed what I would like to do with a smith I know and he had me spending $2800 on this project.
Apparently we were not communicating clearly with each other.

The rifle has shoot decent at times and eratic at others and I have newer had a semi-custom /custom rifle and thought this would be a great donor.

re evaluate and save more $$

Cheers

I would recommend you check out ER Shaw. Call them and talk to zed. I have never had them do work for me before but I also had a budget build 6x45mm I wanted off an existing action. They were by far the least expensive. I should have it back in a month and could give you a report. I had them install the new barrel and blue it for under 400 bucks. And look at stockys for special deals laminate thumbhole stocks. I have done a few rifles this way all shoot well. And for your distance I think this would be perfect. I have no doubt that 400 yards will be easy.

Realistically how much do you think you can do your self, can you do a bedding job or is it all going to have to see a smith?

The problem comes when you can just buy a Remington 700 Long Range for $680 and it will easily get you well past your goal with little to no work, has a heavier barrel which plays better at long range and a WAY better stock design. Keep your old 06 just for regular pack around hunting.

Realistically how much do you think you can do your self, can you do a bedding job or is it all going to have to see a smith?

The problem comes when you can just buy a Remington 700 Long Range for $680 and it will easily get you well past your goal with little to no work, has a heavier barrel which plays better at long range and a WAY better stock design. Keep your old 06 just for regular pack around hunting.

Good point, I'll look at those.
I was just wanting to do a face lift so to speak on the old .06.
Never really liked that barrel for some reason.
The 400 yd mark is my personal limit as of now, would I like to ability to reach out further , Yes, but only after mucg shooting and streaching my comfort leve

I dont hear much about Douglas barrels, is there a r4eason for that? Are they Ok-good-not worth it? ---just askin

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts