Threading over rifle sight screws?

Gravel Road

I have several stock Remington BDL sporter barrels that I would like to have threaded for a suppressor. They had front sights on them, so could they still be threaded for a suppressor? Not really interested in shortening the barrels to remove the threaded holes, as I don't want them any shorter. Haven't taken any depth measurements, so maybe they would clean up totally and not make any difference? Anyone with any experience on these? If it matters, two are typical sporter barrels and one would be a magnum sporter.

What calibers, and what are the actual barrel ODs? The holes themselves shouldn't be a problem, if they bottom out higher than the major diameter of the threading they'll be entirely cut out anyways. You should be able to measure that with a set of calipers.

You might run into the problem where large enough threads don't leave enough shoulder to mount to, and small enough threads don't leave enough barrel around the bore. Unless you have 0.725" or more OD you aren't getting 5/8X24 threads. If you have a .308 cal barrel cutting 1/2x28 threads is a no go because the treads would be tight to the bore. 9/16x24 is the middle ground, usually functional from .243-.308 calibers, but you need 0.662 OD which is larger than lighter weight sporter contours. Magnum sporter should be 0.650", so you have options there. 1/2x28 will work on calibers under .308.

TBAC provides their recommended specs with minimum barrel OD by threading:

Rem sporter at 18". With 6" of TBAC UL7 on it, balances great. I can't seem to like past 19" with suppressor screwed on. Depending on suppressor probably fine threading through the sight holes. Pic is 30-06 at 18".

Thanks for the response guys! I measured the barrels and they are .550 and .650 for the regular and magnum contours. The magnum is a 300 Wby and I have two of the standard weight in 25-06 and 30-06. The 30-06 could be shortened, but I like the 25-06 as-is.

KurtB, that short 30-06 looks sweet! Thanks for sharing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.