Thoughts please

trh

Vortex viper HS 4x16x50 or Zeiss Conquest 3.5x10x50 standard plex recticle.
Rifle is tikka t3 7mag.
Deer only and coyote if it shows its face.
300 yards or less.

In the last week, I have worked with 3 new shooters, none of which have any precision shooting experience and every one has hit steel (and grouped respectably) on steel plates at 160 and 300 yards. The rifle is a Savage 10PC in 223 and topped with a Nikon Monarch 3-12x42. I had a custom turret made for the specific load (75gr HPBT) and within the range discussed it works perfectly.

I will say that the Monarch 3 scopes now have the same turret system as the M223 line of scopes and it has a fundamental problem that you can't lock the turret to prevent zero shift. Anything that lifts up on the turret cap can disengage the cap from the mechanism and there goes your zero...

So sadly, buying a newer Monarch is now out the question in my opinion. There used to be less expensive Vipers, but that seems to have been dropped for the line that is made in china. I doubt you would regret either of your choices, but both may be slightly over the top for a max of 300 yards. I bought my FFP Viper scopes because I anticipate stretching out the range in a few years when I move to CO.

I heard good things about Vortex products, but have never purchased any. I own several makes, two of which are Zeiss conquest products.

Not only am I unable to file a single complaint about the Zeiss scopes I own, I've never read anything negative about a Zeiss scope. You could say, compared to other makes, Zeiss pricing for new scopes may get a little high once you move up past the 3x9x40. If you shop around you can find a deal. The bottom line, it's still a Zeiss and that selection is hard to criticize.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.