Thoughts on this new Illinois law?

Deputy819

Would like to hear to some opinions on this one. Let's keep it "clean" though….agree and disagree where appropriate, but RESPECT above all else! 👍

This is Insanity. "Progressive" DA's and Judges who believe in catch and release are bad enough, this is far worse in my opinion.

How many additional people will be harmed when these offenders are turned loose? I had a coworker that lost both of his legs after being struck by a drunk driver who had many offenses and should already have been locked up serving time, but the "progressive" judge apparently thought that was too harsh. Similar circumstances occurred with the guy who intentionally drove into a parade in Waukesha, WI last year. That driver should have already been locked up based on previous charges but the DA thought better of it, now a lot of people are dead. These are just 2 examples that immediately come to mind, I'm sure there are many more.

There's 2 elements to incarceration - physically getting the bad guys off the street, and deterrence - make an example to keep others from considering crime. This Illinois law eliminates both for many of the hard core bad actors. The criminal justice system will be an absolute joke, offenders can't be held and many will likely not appear before a judge to answer for their crimes. If they don't, when law enforcement finally is able to track them down after considerable time, effort and expense, all they can do is serve them papers, but not take them into custody? What makes anyone think being served is going to make these folks show up?

In the city of Milwaukee, car thefts went from 4,500 in 2020 to more than 10,000 in 2021. This is due largely to a DA and judges who refuse to hold juvenile offenders responsible, just turn them loose so they can do it again.There's no accountability. This is the kind of increase in crime rates that Illinois can likely expect as a direct result of this law.

Sounds to me like the inmates are running the asylum in Illinois. Elections matter. As Muddy said, you reap what you sow.

This will result in higher crimes, more murders and problems for everyone. Bail without cash programs haven't worked well anywhere. Recently, many people who have killed others were out on release for serious crimes. Also, this has nothing to do with race as the article implies. People of every religion, race, group...have poor people in it.

Just another reason on a literally endless list to hate this state. This as well as several so called police reforms were literally passed at like 1:30AM after the liberals were sure they were the only ones left in the house to get the votes to pass these. It goes way deeper than just this one law. Doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that when several past governors, countless reps and senators, and staffers from every dept imaginable are either in jail or felony charged over the last several years that it must be all the average people here that are all the problem. I could go on for days and pages but will spare you all anymore of my rant lol. Wife and I are SERIOUSLY considering relocating, just sick of all the BS here anymore.

@74honker Was hoping you'd chime in here. 👍
It worked brother lol. It really is sad to see how bad it's getting here. Really thankful the SIL is across the river in MO where they actually appreciate LEOs. Look up the the LE reforms if you really want to shake your head. LEOs are either quitting or leaving the state faster than Gov Abbott can load a bus of illegals!

All you have to do is look here at NYS. We emptied the jails because of covid and ended cash bail a few years ago. The crime is out-of-control in NYC. Virtually every gun related shooting is perpetrated by a felon with a long rap sheet. Many felons have committed crimes and been arrested several times and haven't even gone to court on the initial offenses. Some rob the same stores that they did just prior to release. Violent crimes are up 36% in just the last year and they were already at alarming rates. Catch & release is crushing the city and its economy, nobody wants to go back. Covid has subsided but mass transit is still at 50% of pre-pandemic rates.

Even the new NYC Mayor, Adams, who ran on a law & order platform, can't get any cooperation from Albany Democrats. He went there to amend the no cash bail law and to seek help with the crime wave. They sent him back to the city with his tail between his legs. Mayor Adams and his administration have totally failed the residents of NY. He promised two things, safe streets and a clean city. They provided neither.

People are rightfully afraid. And Gov Hochul has declared (begining Sept 1st 2022) 90% of the state to be a "sensitive area" where law-abiding, licensed gun owners can not possess a handgun.

The state of Illinois must be aware of all of this. To follow NY's lead on this issue is unthinkable.

Last edited:
They have been doing this here in CA for a few years now. Results higher crimes and repeat offenders. I have friends and family in the DA's office and they think it is a joke. Some of these people are pretty liberal but when they see the same person coming back into the system time and time again they wonder what the politicians are thinking. It's as sad as when I get checked by DFG when I'm fishing. The officers roll right past about a dozen people and come to my dad and I and check out license and gear and we were all legal. I asked them why they didn't check everyone else they past by and he told me "you look like a person that would pay the fine if I cited you"

I just can't wrap my brain around how people could think this is progress. The only thing that will curtail crime is consequences that far out weigh the perceived benefit from committing the crime. Violent crime should invoke severe consequence and not just serving a little time with their "homies" in prison. Repeat offenders should lose all rights to ever interact in society. Hard labor sentences should be the standard. Muddy put it very succinctly "reap what you sow".