Thoughts from SD and Northeast WY residents

LongWalker

A small positive out of all this COVID nonsense is not having to be married to a regional office building with the expansion of telework. Still have a reasonable geographic requirement and need to be within 3 hours of at least a regional airport.

For me at the moment that would be basically all of South Dakota and into Northeastern Wyoming with Casper being probably the limit. It's just the wife and myself so schools aren't an issue and we're not looking for a huge swath of land and even a large lot (2 acre+) type subdivision would work. Having said that not opposed to the semi boonies if the property had some self sustaining capability.

Lastly I'd like to say the hunting opportunities have a huge weight factor but you already read the wife part so it's important but I can't lie and say it's the lion's share of the decision process

As always, greatly appreciate the sage advice here regardless of the topic I hope everyone has a successful fall and winter hunting season.

My niece told my wife recently that there are lots of out of state people moving into the rural parts of that region.

I'll second gillettehunter's recommendation. I lived in Casper for 5 years before transferring to AK. The area just southwest of Sheridan (only a few miles) is absolutely gorgeous. It doesn't get as much wind or quite the harsh edge to winter that we had in Casper, and it's not the brown/ugly 10 months of the year like in eastern WY. One of my favorite areas on the planet (Bighorn National Forest) is literally just up the hill from you. Anywhere between there and Buffalo is pretty fantastic...

In fact, I'm giving Alaska a try right now and it just doesn't measure up for me. ;) I'll be looking to retire somewhere between Buffalo and Sheridan one day...

PS: As for people moving into the area from out of state... 90% will move right back out again in a couple of years because they and/or their spouse can't take the weather & solitude (2 things most of us on this forum actually love)

Last edited:
Buffalo is a really nice little town, and the drive over the Big Horns to Ten Sleep is about as good as it gets. You can jump on 90 and get to Billings airport pretty easily, too.

Buffalo is a really nice little town, and the drive over the Big Horns to Ten Sleep is about as good as it gets. You can jump on 90 and get to Billings airport pretty easily, too.

In fact, I'm giving Alaska a try right now and it just doesn't measure up for me. ;) I'll be looking to retire somewhere between Buffalo and Sheridan one day...

PS: As for people moving into the area from out of state... 90% will move right back out again in a couple of years because they and/or their spouse can't take the weather & solitude (2 things most of us on this forum actually love)

The weather sucks.
Snow and wind Sept. thru June
Only two months of sun.
I here Alaska has wide open spaces.

Lol... compared to Casper, the wind around there isn't bad at all. :)

2 more of my favorite things in this world: 1) Speedgoat beer from Tensleep brewing, and 2) I'm a life-long skier, and I've ski'd just about everything this continent has to offer. Meadowlark (up 16 from Buffalo) was where I skied the best powder I have ever seen in my life... And the lodge is perfection. Geez... I'm ready to start packing!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.