Thompson Center sabot'd slug performance!

Punisher

I'm using a 250 grain 50 cal Thompson Center slug in Super Glide Sobot.

I recovered one of these from a 125 yard kill.

Performance leaves something to be desired. Here is the pic of what was inside. I just expected expansion, not a cave in of the hollow point. And the polymer tip is still in tact, just driven down into it all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 170
I have a feeling that I will be changing to Barnes!

Really, these TC's kill whitetail just fine, but they don't do what they are supposed to do.

Crap that TC setup is the exact same as what I use. Man it shoots very well too. Is that a superglide sabot with the Barnes? Never recovered a bullet and the deer never made it far so I wasn't worried.

Hello,

What was the charge?

I personally prefer a T/C side lock .50 for my hunting. 100 yards and under I use patched round balls.

If I decide to take it out further, I'll have to find a bullet that will work with the rifling. It will probably be a full-bore bullet, but not necessarily if I can get sabots to group.

For terminal performance there's not much like a round ball, but of course range is limited.

My round ball charge is right around 70 grains 2Fg Goex.

I'm assuming you're driving with Triple 7 or similar, round 100 grains?

Regards,

Josh

I use 100 grains of American Pioneer sticks.

I shot deer with patched round balls when I was a kid, before there was a better alternative. I hit a lot of deer that didn't die very quickly too.

I get really good groups with American Pioneer though. And i have a boat load of it.

I don't think that differences in velocities would cause what I have unless they are Extreme! And in that case, it would have resulted in a miss at 125 yards. They may differ considerably between guns and types of primers too. I once had a ML that could not ignite pyro des pellets. Triple 7 and Am Pioneer burnt every time, but pyrodex often had a delay or never burnt.

What a crazy mess!

Lack of expansion is most likely due to low velocity. Perhaps this American Pioneer powder doesn't have enough energy to give good velocity compared to other powders such as Triple 7 and Blackhorn 209.

I shot a deer a few years ago using 120gr of T7 (loose) and the Shockwave 250. The deer was shot at 15 yards. Bullet cleary expanded, actually breaking up.

I've also shot two deer with the same load at 116 & 118 yards. Both bullets exited the deer, showing clear signs of expansion.

My loads were doing right at 1880 fps using my chrono.

It'd really be nice to chrono your load and see what velocity you are getting. Might explain the lack of expansion.

Regards,
Rog

It is hard to compare it to anything since when I used triple seven powder, I was using different bullets.

I realize that 125 yards is kind of a good long shot for a gun with a slow muzzle velocity, but I have made farther kills with the gun and still gotten pass through.

Will check velocity then get back.

Another reason why I shoot Barnes........

The Barnes bullet in the photo below was recovered by a friend. Actually the first bullet he shot, period, from his rifle. He was busy, stopped by and handed me a new rifle, scope and mounts and asked if I would set it up. He was finally able to hunt and shot a running doe in the chest at somewhere around 100yds. He recovered the bullet just under the hide in one of the rear quarters. Barnes 250gr TMZ and 100grs BH209.

Like the bullet in your photo, here's a few I shot and recovered. I won't shoot them.

Another reason why I shoot Barnes........

The Barnes bullet in the photo below was recovered by a friend. Actually the first bullet he shot, period, from his rifle. He was busy, stopped by and handed me a new rifle, scope and mounts and asked if I would set it up. He was finally able to hunt and shot a running doe in the chest at somewhere around 100yds. He recovered the bullet just under the hide in one of the rear quarters. Barnes 250gr TMZ and 100grs BH209.

Like the bullet in your photo, here's a few I shot and recovered. I won't shoot them.

That is exactly what I was shooting TC Shockwaves in superglued sabots. Won't wast any more money on them, and I may just switch back to trip7.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.