Thompson Center Compass

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
Did a search and did not find much. On the low priced rifles the Ruger American has been very good. Anybody with experience with the Compass that would like to chime in? The little info I can find says that it is stiffer than the Ruger and has a nicer trigger. Is it a pricey canoe paddle or a good entry level hunting rifle?

Did a search and did not find much. On the low priced rifles the Ruger American has been very good. Anybody with experience with the Compass that would like to chime in? The little info I can find says that it is stiffer than the Ruger and has a nicer trigger. Is it a pricey canoe paddle or a good entry level hunting rifle?

This guy had done scads of reloading on his Compass in 6.5 Creed. You can go through his videos or check out the playlist for the 6.5 Creedmoor because it's all TC Compass.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ7ZytKrmCQnRp9LXXxinJQ/videos

Steve,

I won a TCA Compass from a fundraising raffle for $20. It is slightly stiffer than the RA when I first got it but it loosened up after a while. I consider it an excellent entry level hunting rifle. Kentucky Gun Company used to have some great combo deals. I ended changing the trigger spring ($8 IRC) to lightened up the trigger pull. I slapped a Minox 4-14 I have laying around and got the cheapest factory ammo I can find and brass to handload with.

6C3w9ad.jpg

(It so happen that the muzzle thread and my Eliteiron bravo suppressor is the same)

P26mJmR.jpg

After a couple of boxes of barrel break-in, here's how she did at 200 yards (3-shot group).

19QUhZ4.jpg

It harvested a WT doe this year at 200 yards. I took a military member returning from his deployment and he registered the first kill shot.

Last edited:
Steve,

I won a TCA Compass from a fundraising raffle for $20. It is slightly stiffer than the RA when I first got it but it loosened up after a while. I consider it an excellent entry level hunting rifle. Kentucky Gun Company used to have some great combo deals. I ended changing the trigger spring ($8 IRC) to lightened up the trigger pull. I slapped a Minox 4-14 I have laying around and got the cheapest factory ammo I can find and brass to handload with.

6C3w9ad.jpg

(It so happen that the muzzle thread and my Eliteiron bravo suppressor is the same)

P26mJmR.jpg

After a couple of boxes of barrel break-in, here's how she did at 200 yards (3-shot group).

19QUhZ4.jpg

It harvested a WT doe this year.
That's cause its a Creedmore… they can't miss!

Thanks Feenix that's a good report. 200y factory ammo all touching...Hmmm can't wait to build my next $5000 custom. Doesn't even make sense does it. We've been getting the same kind of performance from the Rugers. Price on the Thompson is down where the Ruger was when it 1st came out.

TC are putting out some very good barrels. My venture does that.
My nephew wants a creed, and Ed just sold me on the compass. I think that's what I'll get.

A friend and I recently purchased a pair of 30-06s for swamp hunting whitetails from climbers. Only complaint we had was the trigger pull. Picked up a couple of spring kits from McCarbo and trigger pull cured. Rifle is compact and light so added a muzzle brake. Both are excellent shooters 1/2 to 1' groups off the lead sled at 100 no problem with hand loads. 168 gr Barnes tsx at 3,000 fps. No there are no pressure issues. Shot a doe last weekend at 160 instant dispatch exactly where I aimed. Topped with a Sig Sauer 3-9x50 whiskey3. Excellent rifle and great price point. I own some very expensive custom hunting rifles with Nightforce optics but this little guy fits right in for it's intended purpose and at intermediate ranges can hold it's own. Haven't attempted to take it out past 200 so can't speak to that,

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts