Thompson Center compass

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by DXHI, Sep 10, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Okanogan

Okanogan Well-Known Member

I went with the M Carbo target spring set up as the hunting spring left too much of a trigger pull. The 6.5CM I bought for the gkids is now down to just over 3 lbs and is nice and crisp. I hated the compass before the trigger spring change but now I would say it is a pretty good rifle and value for its intended purpose. Shots 1 MOA even with an inexpensive scope. It isn't like one of my customs but at about 1/10th the cost, the gkids have something to take out that performs fairly well and that I don't have to worry about getting scratched up on the ridge behind the house.

WYO300RUM likes this.
  2. woodtick007

woodtick007 New Member

What caliber do you have?

3. gvjm

gvjm Member

I got one in 7 mag. Put a 10 dollar trigger spring off of ebay in it and a Harrell adjustable muzzle brake. So far with no adjustment to the brake the gun shoots 1/2 MOA 3 shot groups @100 with 243 recoil. I also put a target knob on it. I have less than $380 in it total!

WYO300RUM likes this.
  4. WYO300RUM

WYO300RUM Well-Known Member

I installed the MCarbo hunting spring also. Was 6 pds. Now 3.5 lbs.

gvjm likes this.
  5. cohunt

cohunt Well-Known Member

I do know this about them-- check the trigger with a "drop test"--I tried to turn down the factory pull weight as described in the manual and I did get it lower, but it would fire with a 3.5' drop to the butt pad-- after the m-carbo hunter spring upgrade it dropped an additional 1/2 pound or so on trigger pull but now passes a 4' butt pad drop test--yes I have the "2nd" edition trigger with "counterweight" that is NOT affected by the recall

WYO300RUM likes this.
  6. toddlouis

toddlouis Member

I have the 6.5 creedmoor and 7mm-08.

7. gvjm

gvjm Member

I did the drop test on mine and it passed.

8. Vortex!

Vortex! Well-Known Member

I have one in 270. It shot 3 or 4 different factory ammunitions into 1.5 moa patterns so I reload sledge hammer hunters and now it shoots .6 moa. Still have stock trigger.

WYO300RUM likes this.
  9. one3

one3 Member

Bought a Venture about 2010 great shooter , right out of the box.