This seems impossible

Varmint Hunter

I just started reloading for a 6.5 PRC and borrowed a set of Redding Type S bushing dies. I'm using ADG brass that was once fired in a buddy's rifle because I can't find any brass.

Necks (inside) were cleaned using an old bore brush with a little steel wool wrapped around it. While seating some 140 Bergers I noticed that seating pressure was high and that a ring was being imprinted on the bullet's ojive. Loaded rounds had a neck diameter of .292". Sized brass measured at .283". I thought I found the problem. I yanked the bushing and found that it was a ti .286 bushing. How could a .286 bushing leave necks at .283?

I had a .288 ti bushing on hand so I tossed that in the sizing die. Neck were only slightly bigger and still noticeably smaller than the bushing. I would have expected a .288 bushing to be about right with about a .001" spring-back and a .003" of remaining neck tension. It barely helped at all. Has anyone else experienced a problem with Redding ti bushings?

What am I missing here?

Sounds like annealing might be in order and I had to turn my necks to get a consistent wall for the same die set up as you.
Also beburring/chamfering necks no matter what, should help with seating.
I suspect your necks are out of round due to wall variation, firing and resizing. That bushing is probably forcing the i.d. of the neck to become irregular in shape. Just a guess. Consistent wall is important.

Sounds like a head scratcher, indeed. I had a problem a couple of weeks ago with a tight-chambered .25-06 of mine. I couldn't get new Hornady brass to bump to the 1.948" I needed, even with a hard press cam-over. Maybe this annealing thing is something I finally need to embrace.

Sounds like a head scratcher, indeed. I had a problem a couple of weeks ago with a tight-chambered .25-06 of mine. I couldn't get new Hornady brass to bump to the 1.948" I needed, even with a hard press cam-over. Maybe this annealing thing is something I finally need to embrace.
Same here on 280AI and 7RM brass. When you start feeling the brass in the press and little changes in bump or fire forming, annealing will amaze you on how much more consistent the handloads and the process becomes. Same with neck reaming and turning....

Unless I missed mention of graphite or some other lube inside the neck, I would suggest that a little graphite dip will likely work wonders and you can stop head scratching there. A good alternative is One shot spray outside and in neck between cleaning and FL sizing. Then you can skip the graphite.

Or stop cleaning inside the neck after firing and you likely wont need the graphite. The only time(s) I ever experience seating issues is when I brush inside the neck. If I do it before FL sizing, then it becomes a real pain in the neck. Pun intended. 🥴

I use Imperial sizing wax on the exterior of the cases, including the necks. Inside of the necks have normal carbon build-up for lubricity. I just remove any loose fouling from the necks with a brush/0000 wool before reloading.

Unfortunately, I do not have pin gauges or other instruments that could accurately measure the inside diameter of the bushing.

I'm with others, you need to measure the ID of the bushing and make sure it's correct. I have a pile of bushings and all measure true to the ID and when measuring the OD of the neck.

On another note, that is a pretty small bushing for ADG unturned brass. I am at .2905 OD on my ADG using a sinclair mandrel that is .262.

Mike your bushings. I find many are not what they are marked as.
Pay attn ^^ to what a couple guys here are saying. One other factor that may play is neck thickness.
Also, most likely the expander ball has been removed and just the black pin retainer is in use.
Running the expander ball in thick neck brass may be an easy fix.

I have been running .290 bushing on my ADG brass for 6.5 SAUM. All my Redding Ti bushing mic'd at what they were stamped with.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.