12 Ga. Slugs Impossible to Find -Solution!

At one time you could buy Lightfield slugs at Midway USA. They are the Commander I.D.S and come in packs of 10. I have 16 of 30 left, they look about like the same Sabot as found at Slug's R Us.

When I found the Sabots from Sabot Technologies I bought some and still have about 170 of the original 200 I purchased a year ago. They are everything you said. A great product.

The BPI RSS-12 I also have and they did not perform very well for me. I wish you better luck.

I'm also using an 870, I have the Remington 35 twist barrel. I Roll crimp with a tool from BPI.

Do you have a favorite load?

The IDS were much lighter slug and they shot ok for me but nothing like the Hammerheads from Rich. One thing you can do easily to improve accuracy for the 870 is swap out trigger springs with Timney springs to get trigger down to 3lb or less. Midway has them on sale.
The best load that I have found is using Alliant Pro Reach.
THIS LOAD IS SAFE IN MY SHOTGUN. Use standard safe reloading practices to work up a load in your firearm.
I use 35.0 grains of Pro Reach which is a standard load from Alliant for 1 1/8 oz steel shot load. This is in 2.75" Ultra high brass hull from BPI. This is for the 1 1/8 oz slug from Slugsrus.
Recommend you check their data as well. Thus has been legit <2" at 100 yds load.

If you haven't shot a lot of slugs off bench or cross sticks, slight pull down pressure on forearm will give better mire consistent groups.

The RSS is very finicky to use. You have to decompress the sabot by flexing out the fingers which allows sabot to release the bullet more cleanly. I got really good accuracy with the Sierra 400 gr bullet. The wad I used under the sabot was X12X and FS12 which seemed to work best for me.

I used to cast a lot but not as much as I used to.
I started casting 00 buckshot and shot them for deer and hog hunting while I was in the south with great success.tThey were hard cast at about 20 on the Brinell hardness scale.
Since times may get worse before it gets better I may order some more lead just in case.
Muddy I am gonna try Pro Reach for slugs.I can't use sabot's here in Montana and I traded my Lee slug mold so I need to find another brand.
I have tried to epoxy a slug into a Foster type slug and first shot cracked my receiver on a old Harrington & Richardson single shot shotgun I bought when I was a kid so I'm done with that.