This is my backup bear gun, change my mind.

What would it take to change my backup gun

• Legitimate discovery of Sasquatch

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • More opportunities/time to train with other firearms

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • A more powerful cartridge that fires from one of my existing platforms

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • I won't change

Votes: 34 36.2%
  • Lighter gun

Votes: 10 10.6%
  • Changing hunting areas to a place where bears are larger

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Other

Votes: 10 10.6%

• Total voters
At this point in life, I am very comfortable in the capabilities of my three main bear protection handguns and their loads; 44mag Redhawk, 45Colt+p 5 1/2" Redhawk, 45 Super in older converted Kimber 1911 with compensator. All using hard cast heavies.

HOWEVER, if they make Han Solo's blaster available to the public, I "may" consider that.

sea2summit, I hunt in bear country, and "do not" carry a back-up gun. When I am hunting, my rifle is in my hands .....not on my shoulder. If I'm in an area where I have limited visibility....."rifle in hand - head on swivel"! If I am just out for a stroll, fishing, or working around camp ( if camped in a reduced visibility area), or handgun hunting.... my 460 S&W carried in a cross-chest (tanker style) holster is my companion! ;) memtb

Depends on the kind of bears. Black bears are easy to bring down. So a heavy pistol round like a 10mm would be good. If we are talking about brown bears then just about any pistol is just going to **** them off.If it's brown bears I am going with bear spray.

For bear hunting I like my Marlin Guide Gun (45/70) but at times have hunted with Ruger Redhawk 454 Casull both with heavy hardcast bullets from Corbon. Have taken bear with both firearms and with compound bow. I know they work because all were taken at 20 yards or less. However never with a charging bear. They can cover 50 yds in the blink of an eye. My opinion, works for me but may not wok for other.

Be safe, be well:
Ttrees

Bears in S/W montana where I hunt have really been on the up swing . I carry a high capacity 10mm now , I have also carried my .41 mag & .460 but lately I have chose capacity over horsepower . In a charge situation the vitals are a bit (shielded) but in that charge situation I'm not sure a vitals shot is the way to go. Even with a lucky shot , the heart AND both lungs get taken out ( probably not possible from a frontal shot ) that bear probably can continue for 2-4 minutes before the brain runs out of oxygenated blood !! Don't know about you but I think a lot of bad can happen with a wounded bear in that time . Hopefully you can get a hit in the brain or spinal cord to drop it rite there to stop the attack but we all know just the sounds and breathing from that animal in that situation is probably enough for the large majority of people to lose their composure! My kids show cattle and sometimes we get some that get a little agitated and the sound of just the breathing of a 1400 lb animal makes the hair on my arms stand up because they move so much air & You can feel the ground move when they are agitated and these are our pets ( I often think , man I'm lucky they don't have claws and teeth ) I can't imagine what a big ****ed grizzly would be like !! A buddy shot a bull last year in s/w montana and we had to recover it the next am where we hunt. After all the grizzly activity there , I went back to help the next day knowing chances were hi of a grizzly protecting its food source so I carried a high capacity 9+1 simi auto 12ga with alternating 000 buck and slugs . I tested this combo on the cut side of a 24" x 24" tree trunk with VERY impressive results !!! If I had to bet my life on it , that's my combo , only part I like the least is the simi auto Machanical side but it's proven reliable so far ......

We did have bear spray for the closest person to grab also

Im pretty comfortable with my 10mm, but as time and money permit, I'd very much like to do some gel testing with a 460 Rowland. I have a couple each caribou and moose shoulders I've been saving in the freezer to out in it to simulate bone impacts. I'll probably test the 300blk also
I have a 460 Roland I really like the thing, my 45acp is a great Gun but not that good on pigs, the 460 on only hits hard but it goes deep, loud but I can not hear any way

Ruger Redhawk 41 magnum 2" barrel. Light enough to carry. First shot is always there with out delay to work safety. Powerful enough to get the job done. Nice to shoot so I can hit where I aim.

I would want a revolver. I'd use my 44 mag or 460 s&W. Reason: I want a round that can handle distance with energy and accuracy and I want a revolver to eliminate jams and mis-fires... just my opinion

Revolvers can jam. Shooting Heavy loads without an appropriate heavy crimp can cause bullet slippage and thus locking the cylinder from rotating. While fairly rare, over the decades, I have seen it occur a few times. Usually from someone's factory loads that did not have a good QA day.

I'm surprised how many wouldn't change votes there are thus far. Also appears the same folks favor the capacity of their chosen weapons. I find that interesting, would have never guessed it would be the popular vote.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.