Thinking of a new build and need advice on caliber

have you herd of Black collar arms they have chassis stocks ect doing it with a bighorn ams action and shoulder fit or barrel nut fit barrel gives you all kinda can all ready chambered and ready to go doing my second one now did one for a bud and this one will be for me doing mine in a 6.5 PRC in a 10 inch barrel with brake just a truck snow go quick gun for wolves blackies and boos here is there web sit fr parts https://blackcollararms.com/View attachment 194210

What caliber was the first one you did? Have you taken any game with it? What was the weight on it? It's nice to see another from AK on here, I'm over in palmer. What are expecting for velocity out of the 6.5prc?

@JMW67 The rem700 cp was actually my inspiration for this. I already have both a long and a short action chassis, just need an action, and if I go 338 or 358 a barrel. I have a couple 30 cal barrels laying around l, maybe I'll start with one of those and see where it ends up. And decide after that on a decent barrel.

Looks like there's a guy with a 338fed ar10 with an 8" barrel and is getting 2100-2200fps out of the factory loaded federal 185gr. If I can get 2000 out of a 230gr eldx that puts me at 600+ yds before I hit their supposed 1300fps minimum expansion velocity, and at 400yds I'm still over 1500fps and at 1200ft-lb
Screenshot_20200518-111452_Strelok Pro.jpg

So I'm planning on building a "pistol" to hunt with. This will be a bolt action in a chassis with a folding stabilizing brace.

I realize that this isn't what the specialty pistol forum is usually about, but I figured you guys would be the best place for the info I need.

I live in Alaska and do a lot of hiking/backpacking and would like to be abke to have a compact, lightweight rig to bring with me during hunting season where the likelihood of my spotting anything is slim, but not impossible.

Brown bears are not on the menu for me to shoot (they are NOT good eating usually) black bears... Possibly. This will mainly be for moose, caribou, sheep, and goats. With the occasional predator (fox, lynx, coyote) thrown in.

I'd like to stick with a 12" barrel unless there's a really good reason not too. I'm not stuck on a short action, and I'm open to magnum cartridges. Shots on game will likely be 400yds max. I try to get as close as possible when hunting, so most are around 100yds typically

I've really been looking pretty hard at a 338 federal. That seems like the best balance of power, recoil, and muzzle blast to me.

I can handload and wont rule out a wildcat, but factory available ammo is a huge plus.

You guys think there is anything better for up here?
I don't own but know friends that swear by the 358 Winchester. That's a 308 necked to 35 caliber. Check it out!

You have 2 great ones for info ernie and Mark. For me if I wanted a bolt rig it would be 7mmWSM OR 300 WSM. 16#

But I have 2 close range hammers now but in TC encores.
1. 445 supermag MGM 15"
2. 41 GNR #2 16"

OH I did inherit :(... my brothers TC contender in 223 and a 45/70 barrel

Quite happy with these 3

338 federal would be cool though I have no experience with it. Always seemed like a sensible round. If bear defense is coming into play though, upping both caliber and powder capacity might be a good decision. 35 whelen.

Have I been over thinking this? Is the blast from a short barreled 338fed or 358w going to be bad enough that I might as well just do a 338 win mag or a 375h&h/ruger with a short barrel? Or will it be significantly less uncomfortable to shoot with the magnums?

Have I been over thinking this? Is the blast from a short barreled 338fed or 358w going to be bad enough that I might as well just do a 338 win mag or a 375h&h/ruger with a short barrel? Or will it be significantly less uncomfortable to shoot with the magnums?

26 Nosler (large case capacity) Muzzle blast is not bad to the shooter with the Holland Radial Baffle. because of it's design.
Lightweight 7mm Dakota with 180's

Heavier barreled 7mm Dakota with 175's

26 Nosler (large case capacity) Muzzle blast is not bad to the shooter with the Holland Radial Baffle. because of it's design.
Lightweight 7mm Dakota with 180's

Heavier barreled 7mm Dakota with 175's

Thanks for those! Recoil doesn't look to bad with those breaks. How's the concussion from them? This isn't something that I'll ever shoot without ear protection lol, but I don't want the concussion causing problems (I've been around some guns that the concussion can cause slight dizziness/headaches)

If the nosler and Dakota arent horrible I wouldn't think a 338wm or a 375 ruger would be any worse (other than recoil impulse)

Does a short barreled, arm braced, "pistol" in either of those calibers seem reasonable to you?

Just my tiny $0.02, however as one goes up in bore diameter, the efficiency of any barrel length to burn a given amount of powder INCREASES.

Therefore, "if" you built a 375 H&H Handcannon, it "might" have less of a pressure blast than even Ernie's 7mm Dakota, or 26 Nosler. I'd want a bit faster of a twist and a good muzzle break like Darrel Holland offers (I have one on a 6mm Ackley and it works great).

I.E. all things equal, the 308 would have a greater muzzle blast velocity and pressure than a 358 Win.

Just my tiny $0.02, however as one goes up in bore diameter, the efficiency of any barrel length to burn a given amount of powder INCREASES.

Therefore, "if" you built a 375 H&H Handcannon, it "might" have less of a pressure blast than even Ernie's 7mm Dakota, or 26 Nosler. I'd want a bit faster of a twist and a good muzzle break like Darrel Holland offers (I have one on a 6mm Ackley and it works great).

I.E. all things equal, the 308 would have a greater muzzle blast velocity and pressure than a 358 Win.

That exactly what I was thinking. In theory it's correct but the real world and theory don't always coincide lol

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.