Thinking of a new build and need advice on caliber

I'll throw in the 375 JDJ as a possible cartridge. Not hard to make and using a 235 gr TSX you get good velocity. Can't give you what I get out of mine currently, not at the house right now. Shot a 6 ft 6 in black bear with it and he only went 30 yards. Bullet was the perfect Barnes poster bullet.

I'll throw in the 375 JDJ as a possible cartridge. Not hard to make and using a 235 gr TSX you get good velocity. Can't give you what I get out of mine currently, not at the house right now. Shot a 6 ft 6 in black bear with it and he only went 30 yards. Bullet was the perfect Barnes poster bullet.

I thought about that one, but isn't it based on the 444 marlin? Would be tough to feed in a bolt action wouldn't it?

So I'm planning on building a "pistol" to hunt with. This will be a bolt action in a chassis with a folding stabilizing brace.

I realize that this isn't what the specialty pistol forum is usually about, but I figured you guys would be the best place for the info I need.

I live in Alaska and do a lot of hiking/backpacking and would like to be abke to have a compact, lightweight rig to bring with me during hunting season where the likelihood of my spotting anything is slim, but not impossible.

Brown bears are not on the menu for me to shoot (they are NOT good eating usually) black bears... Possibly. This will mainly be for moose, caribou, sheep, and goats. With the occasional predator (fox, lynx, coyote) thrown in.

I'd like to stick with a 12" barrel unless there's a really good reason not too. I'm not stuck on a short action, and I'm open to magnum cartridges. Shots on game will likely be 400yds max. I try to get as close as possible when hunting, so most are around 100yds typically

I've really been looking pretty hard at a 338 federal. That seems like the best balance of power, recoil, and muzzle blast to me.

I can handload and wont rule out a wildcat, but factory available ammo is a huge plus.

You guys think there is anything better for up here?
have you herd of Black collar arms they have chassis stocks ect doing it with a bighorn ams action and shoulder fit or barrel nut fit barrel gives you all kinda can all ready chambered and ready to go doing my second one now did one for a bud and this one will be for me doing mine in a 6.5 PRC in a 10 inch barrel with brake just a truck snow go quick gun for wolves blackies and boos here is there web sit fr parts https://blackcollararms.com/
96807671_1170770866608477_1606918449945116672_o.jpg

Attachments

• 96543021_1174749352877295_4774589858767175680_o.jpg
    96543021_1174749352877295_4774589858767175680_o.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 102
I have a older Savage 99 in 358 Win and that caliber is still being offered by a few few bolt gun makers. That being said, brass is easily found and there's a good selection of bullets as well. I loaded up some 200 grain Barnes that performed very well out of 20" barrel. Not a pistol by any means but just wanted to share.

I've been looking at bullets like the 230gr eld-x ( since that line seems to expand reliably down to ~1300fps) and the the Barnes 250gr lrx, as well as the 180 AB for the higher speeds.

If the recommendation is to keep it 15" I might as well add an inch and use a real rifle stock too.

What about something like a 358 win? Seems like that might let me shorten the barrel up some, but it's not the easiest to find ammo for. I've also thought about a 375 raptor, but then I'm into a pretty rare wildcat.

Thanks for all the responses, this is great!
I just read up on the 375 Raptor and it looks perfect for what you're looking for. The 375 JDJ would be great if you wanted a TC Contender or Encore pistol. Sharps brothers just came out with a Contender grip that you can add a folding brace to make a compact kit. The Black Collar Arms is also available in 375 Raptor if you have a donner 700 Rem action if you prefer a bolt repeater.

So I'm planning on building a "pistol" to hunt with. This will be a bolt action in a chassis with a folding stabilizing brace.

I realize that this isn't what the specialty pistol forum is usually about, but I figured you guys would be the best place for the info I need.

I live in Alaska and do a lot of hiking/backpacking and would like to be abke to have a compact, lightweight rig to bring with me during hunting season where the likelihood of my spotting anything is slim, but not impossible.

Brown bears are not on the menu for me to shoot (they are NOT good eating usually) black bears... Possibly. This will mainly be for moose, caribou, sheep, and goats. With the occasional predator (fox, lynx, coyote) thrown in.

I'd like to stick with a 12" barrel unless there's a really good reason not too. I'm not stuck on a short action, and I'm open to magnum cartridges. Shots on game will likely be 400yds max. I try to get as close as possible when hunting, so most are around 100yds typically

I've really been looking pretty hard at a 338 federal. That seems like the best balance of power, recoil, and muzzle blast to me.

I can handload and wont rule out a wildcat, but factory available ammo is a huge plus.

Have you looked at the rem. 700cp with the arm brace I have one in a 6.5 creed the thing shoots very well It is also available in 308 win as well several other calibers it is a 12.5 inch barrel and is in a very nice chassis all I did was swap the trigger and work up a load I keep it as my truck gun for hogs and coyote

.350 Rem. Mag.

I have a older Savage 99 in 358 Win and that caliber is still being offered by a few few bolt gun makers. That being said, brass is easily found and there's a good selection of bullets as well. I loaded up some 200 grain Barnes that performed very well out of 20" barrel. Not a pistol by any means but just wanted to share.
A more Modern .358 Win:
20200518_105231.jpg

Many moons ago I built a 338/08 (long B4 Federal did their thing) {and have Loved my 35 Whelan even Longer} - if you Load & Cast - You cud Create the right Lead Mixture and make ur boollits do what you Want !! But a 200 gr. Cast 338 - is truly Moose Medicine @ 200 yds. W/Verry Tolerable Recoil from my 338/08, & I do not feel undergunned if a Bruin is Stalking me 😉

A 338 cal 230 grn ELDX at 2300 fps would put you really close to 1500 ft/lbs and 1800 fps at 400 yards. I dont think youd get there with a 338 federal in a 12" barrel. A 338 wsm, saum, ss,sst would all likely get you there. A 338 rcm might as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.