Thinking about 7mm wsm built, have questions

dlf57

Hi Fellas,
Been lurking for awhile, theres a wealth of info on this site. I am think about building a longrange/huntng/backcountry/occasional F class rifle. I like the idea of a 7mm wsm with a shorter barrel in the range of 20-22". Versatility is the key, but i want longrange target and hunting options. I will reload. Can the 7mm wsm still achieve its intented FPS velocity in a shorter 20-22" barrel or would i be wasting powder? If not what is the mnimum length? Thank for all your help

Dan

You can still get great performance with a 20-22" barrel. I have a 17.5" pistol chambered in 7wsm and puch a 168smk over 2850fps. I have heard you usually loose 30-60fps per inch, but with the right powder you can make up for it :) take a look in the handgun section on here and look at some of the long range capabilities if the shorter barrels. But be careful, you might end up needing one ...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.