Thick Tang Inletting

TK 1985

Hey guys, has anyone here inletted a hunting stock for a Remington 700 based action with a thick tang, such as you can get on the Big Horn actions, or others? Any tips or tricks? If so do you have any pictures of the finished rifle? Thanks

In my opinion, fitting a thick tang to any rifle stock, Rem. 70 included, involves first relieving the center of the action cavity to accommodate main parts of the action assembly (including trigger mechanism) so that the action rests flat and evenly over the inletted portion of the stock. If the cavity for the tang is deeper than it should be it obviously needs to be built up. If it's not deep enough, it needs to have more material removed (a little at a time) so that it fits into place.
If I found problems involving a stock where the primary portion of the action rests as it should to accommodate proper bedding but the tang stands proud of the stock it's a matter of piecing in that portion of the stock and reshaping it to allow for proper fitting of the piece.

Well I will be relieving the stock anyways as I will be pillar bedding. Remington SPS style stock. I was wondering if anyone else had done it to see how thin the side walls and such got.

A sporter stock that was profiled for a Remington 700 footprint action, cannot be inletted for an action with a BAT or Bighorn type tang, without having the tang sit proud. If you try to inlet the stock deep enough to accommodate the tang, you will alter the action/bottom metal relationship.
When I make stocks for actions with that type of tang, I leave a generous amount of wood in that area, then profile by hand after bedding.

A sporter stock that was profiled for a Remington 700 footprint action, cannot be inletted for an action with a BAT or Bighorn type tang, without having the tang sit proud. If you try to inlet the stock deep enough to accommodate the tang, you will alter the action/bottom metal relationship.
When I make stocks for actions with that type of tang, I leave a generous amount of wood in that area, then profile by hand after bedding.
+100% When those thick tang actions are made material is incresed on the TOP of the tang, not the bottom!

It's going to be pillared so material is going to be taken off in the stock depth anyways. I'm not sure about the other actions but this one doesn't taper as much as a Remington does on the sides

I don't think you're understanding what we're trying to tell you....

It doesn't make a bit of difference if you pillar bed it, you cannot alter the relationship between the action and the bottom metal. If you want the tang to sit flush in the stock, then you have to add material to the stock, not inlet it deeper!

Listen to what shortgrass and I are trying to explain to you.

I've got (2) Big Horn actions that sit "proud". I'd just as soon pry the horse off my Ferrari (assuming I had one) than bury the tang. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.