Thermal sights - an reticles be "turned off"?

They do make thermals that do not have a reticle. They are small and mount in front of your scope. I have not used one but have heard they can be very good. I wonder if you could use it as a monocular( spotter) and then quick attach for the shot? The thermals scopes I have used have several reticles you can chose from but no way to turn it off.

Are there any thermal sights with reticles that can be "turned off" so I can mount it in front of my day scope?

Eric B.

They make clip-ons for this particular purpose. However, there is always the problem with alignment. Just because you put 2 scopes on a rail does not mean that they are exactly lined up with on another. If the thermal isn't lined up with the day scope, then your POA will no longer be aligned with the POI.

Armasight's scopes such as the Zeus line can have the reticle turned off.

Well, after this year's unsuccessful mule deer doe hunt I "need" a thermal sight that can double as a monocular. I could hear a yearling bleating within 50 yards but damned if I could see it in the thick brush. A thermal scope would have been perfect for that situation.

Eric B.

There are entry level models but avoid those. You can get quality civilian models but it will cost you about the same as a midsize vehicle. Give it a few years and they'll come down in price.

Thanks Zen, but at 74 I ain't got much time to waste waiting on technology.

Hopefully in a year I will have saved enough for a Gen. 3 thermal scope I can use both on an extender Pic. rail in front of my day scope and as a hand-held monocular for deer, elk and antelope hunting.
Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.