The Ultimate Rear Bean Bag ...or not

Brown Dog

Well, courtesy of the generosity of IanF, I finally got my hands on some polybeads.

..decided it was time to put my ideas for the 'ultimate rear bean bag' into action (having never understood why a tube seems to be the most common design).

The ultimate design…or so I thought (I'd unfilled it by the time I thought to take some photos):
Side view
Bagside.jpg

Top view
Bagtop.jpg

Rear View
Bagback.jpg

I'd decided something triangular (a 3, 4, 5 triangle) would give me the most versatility….being easily changeable between the three heights. …..so made a 6/8/10" bag as shown…

Bottom line up front is that the design doesn't work well! Poor ergonomics in its most stable position (the aspect photo'd) and not sufficiently stable in other positions ….back to the drawing board.

…..I suspect a 6" x 8" x 3" brick will be the next shape…unless someone has a better idea!

We had some rectanglar bags made & this gives us 3 heights
with a bag just small enough to go into a BDU pocket. We
used them last fall in Wyoming with no problems & now AR.
Varmits are getting their turn.

Brown Dog

8" X 6" X 2.5". This will fit in a BDU size Jacket pocket
if you put your hand on the bottom and lead it into the pocket, a little tight, but easy to do with practice.

Buffalobob
We think the material is called micro-suede. It is nearly
impervious to the elements but on top of that it is teflon coated. The material is used on some nice furniture. We used 1# bags of poly pellets. The nice lady that made them for us made the bags with one end open, slides the pastic bag of pellets in & then sows it closed. For field bags, they supplied all of our needs & are very durable. Here in AR., if we hunt in the bottoms, we may go prone in a little bit of water, no problem!!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.