Range bag or Chest

Whopper Stopper

It has come to my attention that when I go to the range to shoot I have a lot of junk. I have to sometimes make three trips from the truck to the benches. I am not looking for a wheel barrow or a cart to haul stuff. I am thinking more about a machinist chest or a range bag. What do you people use to carry your primary and secondary equipment in? I live close to where I shoot so it isn't like I reload there, but none the less it's amazing the amount of equipment you use.

WS

I just used a day pack that I would take for varmint hunting to the range. I have seen two things that might work either a Rubbermaid action packer or a Stanley tool chest on wheels that was also plastic/rubber.

I use a range bag. It is basically a 5 pocket duffle bag. Has my shells, hearing protection, rests, shooting glasses, etc.

Then, I have my shooting box from Cabelas, that has a fold-up gun rest for cleaning and holds my jags, rags, wipes, bore guide, sweets, jb's, etc.

I use a big rubbermaid bin. I can put all my sand bags, spotting scope, ammo. I am in the same boat as you and I got tired of the three trips to the car before I was ready to shoot. Now I throw it all in my bin and grab the handles and make one trip. Plus it was cheap. just my .02

Whopper Stopper:

I guess I'm lucky in that I don't have to go to a range where I have to pack my stuff to a bench. I can drive right to where we shoot, but that's the advantage of shooting on private land. I usually have the back of my truck full and if two of us go we then take a second truck to make it easier.

The back of my truck has a compartment for the fold up bench, gun cases on each side and the top center section slides out for easy access. The top center section holds a big soft gear bag and two good sized hard boxes/cases with tools, cleaning gear etc. The slide out center section has a compartment that holds the front rest, rear bags etc. so they can't move around. Usually on top of the gun cases on each side is where the chronograph, tripods, gun vise etc. goes. By the time all of the chairs, target frames, chronograph etc. get put on top its pretty full. If I take the 4'x8' folding frame setup for long range drop testing it gets really crowded in my poor little canopy.

The canopy is always full and the rear seat is also loaded down with electronics and optics and somewhere in the whole thing there is always a cooler of ice water or something to drink. If it's an all day thing, then there's lunch to pack in some hole also.

I guess in answer to your question about what I carry my primary and secondary equipment in......it's my crowded truck.

The second truck makes the bulky items like sun shade etc. easier to manage. You wouldn't think that just two guys could take two trucks of stuff out just to shoot for the day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
DSC02413Medium-1.jpg

DSC02436Medium-1.jpg

DSC02408Medium.jpg

You might not have noticed it but I think someone has gone and stolen the back off of your chair. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif You might want to call the sheriff and report it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That's an old oak chair that's been laying around my shop for a few years and the back was all broken up. Instead of fixing it I just cut the broken part of the back off and it "stacks" in the back of my truck just right. Don't think the sheriff would be to sympathetic with me if I turned it in as being stolen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You just have to remember that's one chair you don't lean back in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I use a stanley tool box that i baught for 20 bucks. It has a top and bottom and can be rolled or carried. It also has a little organizer that was probably for nuts and bolts but i use it for cleaning brushes and jags and patches.

screech:

The left handed gun is a 270 AM built on a Savage 110 action, Lilja barrel and McMillan hunter with a Sightron up top.

The right handed gun is a 7mm AM built on a Nesika action, Rock barrel and McMillan A5 with a Nightforce up top.

All work done by Kirby Allen of Allen Precision Shooting aka Fiftydriver /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DSC02442Medium.jpg

Whopper,
You are not on your own mate, me and my shooting partner take so much stuff, i have to put extra pressure in the rear tyres /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Luckily we can park adjacent to the shooting line/Benches so several trips to and from the truck are not a problem.
We handload at the range so all our equipment is packed into rigid plastic/steel, double handled toolmakers chest with a hinged top storage compartment for bullets, primers arbour press powder measure etc.
Tubs of powder are packed into a plastic laundry basket, with all other equipment in easily transportable containers.
I even have a seperate container for the brew up gear (camping stove, kettle, teapot etc.)cant function without a fresh cuppa /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ian.

Sendero_Man:

I really like the A5 style stock. It does everything I want a stock to do and is ergonomically right on when it comes to getting in behind it and breaking a shot. It's not, however, a stock I'd recommend if you want to build a light weight gun. I went with the adjustable cheekpiece but find that it is perfect for me in the fully lowered position so that was an expense I could have eliminated.

If I had it to do over again, and time was an issue, I'd probably go with another choice as the wait for a McMillan is way too long. You can get the same features in stocks that are just as good and are much quicker to obtain. If the wait is not a problem then the McMillan is a great product.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.