The only bullet

timmay

I know these threads are around but I have recently started reloading and my bench already has about 8 different types of bullets. When I go to Cabelas my head just about spins when trying to choose a bullet, all the cool looking bullets in their nice boxes its a good sales technique for me cause I want to buy them all!
Anyway if you were able to choose only one type of bullet to load from now on (that bullet had to be used from everything from close to long range hunting, personal defense, taking out bands of gang bangers in a wrol situation) what would you choose?

Im thinking Id go with an accubond or swift scirocco. I think those are accurate enough at distance and can take out any game needed as well as snipe some WROL gang bangers that want to rape my wife and take my food

I know these threads are around but I have recently started reloading and my bench already has about 8 different types of bullets. When I go to Cabelas my head just about spins when trying to choose a bullet, all the cool looking bullets in their nice boxes its a good sales technique for me cause I want to buy them all!
Anyway if you were able to choose only one type of bullet to load from now on (that bullet had to be used from everything from close to long range hunting, personal defense, taking out bands of gang bangers in a wrol situation) what would you choose?

Im thinking Id go with an accubond or swift scirocco. I think those are accurate enough at distance and can take out any game needed as well as snipe some WROL gang bangers that want to rape my wife and take my food
Both the Scirocco and Accubond are great bullets. I'd have to throw the hornady interlock in there as well and say under the circumstances you describe that would be the "one bullet" I'd pick due to the fact that I've shot everything with them for years, and years, and years.

I just have so much more experience with the Interlock than either the Accubond or Scirocco I simply have more faith in them because of all the bodies we've piled up together.

Im thinking Id go with an accubond or swift scirocco. I think those are accurate enough at distance and can take out any game needed as well as snipe some WROL gang bangers that want to rape my wife and take my food[/QUOTE]

Is this a serious problem where you live? LOL :D

I would say the ballistic tip in varmint configuration or the v-max. Here's why. When you use sturdy bullets like the scirocco's and accubonds you have to worry about over penetration. If you shoot a guy you have to be concerned with going through a wall and damaging more of your property or killing/injuring someone else that is just an innocent pedestrian or child on the other side. If you use a bullet that will expand immediately upon impact at close range, the perp will be stopped dead in his tracks. When it comes to making longer shots, the round will act like any other bullet. 223 with the 53grn V-max, 55grn Blitzking, 60 Nosler varmint ballistic tip. Or you could go with the 6mm/.243 with the 87 V-max, 80 ballistic varmint tip, or the 308 with 110 v-max at high velocity. Any of these bullets in any of the configurations will take you to 500 yards on animals and 800 yards on humans. I would even send one out to 1000yds on a human with any of the rounds especially the 87gr v-max in 6mm. When it hits flesh it's gonna kill'em or wound them enough to stop them where they stand.

Get into some CQB, the bullets will be devastating and stop in the first wall you hit. I have children, so if I go toe to toe with a baddy, I want to know that my bullet will explode in the plaster and lathe. If it does pass through, it will be in pieces that I hope would be non-lethal. If you hit a guy in your house, the bullet will hit with enough velocity to explode in the body cavity and not pass through. If it should pass through the body, it will only pentrate the first layer of the wall w/o pass through. I know this is all a theoretical situation, but this is what I would want.

Tank

I would say the ballistic tip in varmint configuration or the v-max. Here's why. When you use sturdy bullets like the scirocco's and accubonds you have to worry about over penetration. If you shoot a guy you have to be concerned with going through a wall and damaging more of your property or killing/injuring someone else that is just an innocent pedestrian or child on the other side. If you use a bullet that will expand immediately upon impact at close range, the perp will be stopped dead in his tracks. When it comes to making longer shots, the round will act like any other bullet. 223 with the 53grn V-max, 55grn Blitzking, 60 Nosler varmint ballistic tip. Or you could go with the 6mm/.243 with the 87 V-max, 80 ballistic varmint tip, or the 308 with 110 v-max at high velocity. Any of these bullets in any of the configurations will take you to 500 yards on animals and 800 yards on humans. I would even send one out to 1000yds on a human with any of the rounds especially the 87gr v-max in 6mm. When it hits flesh it's gonna kill'em or wound them enough to stop them where they stand.

Get into some CQB, the bullets will be devastating and stop in the first wall you hit. I have children, so if I go toe to toe with a baddy, I want to know that my bullet will explode in the plaster and lathe. If it does pass through, it will be in pieces that I hope would be non-lethal. If you hit a guy in your house, the bullet will hit with enough velocity to explode in the body cavity and not pass through. If it should pass through the body, it will only pentrate the first layer of the wall w/o pass through. I know this is all a theoretical situation, but this is what I would want.

Tank

Those are good points, but I dont think they would be good for bringing down bigger game like Elk, but if you live in an area where the biggest game is white tale deer then that would probably be the best bet.
I live in AZ so if something bad ever did happen and we had to protect what is ours and also have to hunt to live (we have large mule deer and big elk) I think Id rather go with something a little more beefy. Over penetration on a man may be a concern but I dont think anyone would survive a hit anywhere in the torso with a scirocco, accubond, interlock, etc coming from any rifle caliber...308 would be my choice though

Those are good points, but I dont think they would be good for bringing down bigger game like Elk, but if you live in an area where the biggest game is white tale deer then that would probably be the best bet.
I live in AZ so if something bad ever did happen and we had to protect what is ours and also have to hunt to live (we have large mule deer and big elk) I think Id rather go with something a little more beefy. Over penetration on a man may be a concern but I dont think anyone would survive a hit anywhere in the torso with a scirocco, accubond, interlock, etc coming from any rifle caliber...308 would be my choice though
(dont get me wrong though, I would NEVER want to kill another human being unless absolutely necessary)
oops didnt mean to quote myself lol

Ive killed a few elk with winchesters factory ballistic silvertip ammo 150 grains. I have killed a couple over 550yds out of my 300wsm with that ammo complete pass through no issues. So I wouldnt say they wont work;)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.