The one that got away...for now

Tikkamike

My bear season wasnt too great this year. 200% snow pack on the mountain made for a late start on the bear action then a week after my bait started getting hit I took a spill on my 4 wheeler which set me back another week and a half and in the mean time my bait got emptied and that really messed up the bears routine. finally I was able to hunt the last 3 days of the season. I passed up a smaller bear with bad hair and one that would have squared around 6'6"... typically I would not pass on a bear like that but I had a LOT of pictures of a bear that I cant get out of my head. He very well could be the biggest bear I have seen. I wish I had live pictures of my first bear to compare him to but I dont. So all I know is this bear is definitley on my hit list. Spring season ended last night but fall season starts in 75 days! Here are some pics of the big guy.

That's BIG! Good luck this fall. If you get him, consider writing a Feature Article on it. We'll also start a discussion forum topic, too.

Oooooohhhhhh!! I hope he sticks around for you to get him. Those creases in is forehead and that belly are telling me he's a big dude.

Mike,

I don't think this guy is as big as the bruin you got, at least skull wise. I could be wrong because I am going on memory. Maybe you should post up the pictures of your big one next to this one so we can better judge.

Mike,

I don't think this guy is as big as the bruin you got, at least skull wise. I could be wrong because I am going on memory. Maybe you should post up the pictures of your big one next to this one so we can better judge.

Good idea. Hard to tell which is bigger because one is dead one isnt...unfortunatley. the dead one had a 22.5" skull wet, after 60 days it shrunk an inch and now after several years its only 20.5" (hopefully its done shrinking there was/still is a ton of grease in the skull) its yellow unlinke the younger one I shot last year its still white as can be

Black bears just don't come much bigger than either of those two bears. Sure there are a few reports of 800 pounders out east, but those are indeed very rare, and I doubt their skulls are any bigger than the ones you've killed or have pictured.

Black bears just don't come much bigger than either of those two bears. Sure there are a few reports of 800 pounders out east, but those are indeed very rare, and I doubt their skulls are any bigger than the ones you've killed or have pictured.

I cant get enough of bear hunting... Elk used to be my passion but since its next to impossible for me to draw a tag I have spent a lot of time chasing bears and I love it. ...anyway the only way to figure out which is bigger is ground check the other one and measure it up haha!

Tikkamike,
That is a brute! I love the chocolate color and the white blaze on his chest. Can you imagine how big he will be this fall?gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.