The Grendel's are ready to smoke deer.

If you start any AR rifle at 1.5" at 100 or better (with a new non-broken-in barrel), there is always potential with handloads and once that barrel is broken-in should settle in for some nice groups. Glad to see someone else shooting the 123 CC's. Don't forget to also try CFE-223 powder. That's the combo I'm going to start testing with mine, once I get some spare time. Now that football season is back in full-swing, i'm limited to Sundays. :cool:

I got some Shooters World Precision I want to give try also? I'm over 200 rounds in a new barrel. The SW4350 in 6.5 Creedmoor is interesting so far, the Precision is supposed to match Varget, we'll see?

If you start any AR rifle at 1.5" at 100 or better (with a new non-broken-in barrel), there is always potential with handloads and once that barrel is broken-in should settle in for some nice groups. Glad to see someone else shooting the 123 CC's. Don't forget to also try CFE-223 powder. That's the combo I'm going to start testing with mine, once I get some spare time. Now that football season is back in full-swing, i'm limited to Sundays. :cool:
Nosler Custom Comps are a good bullet!

Rebuilt my upper, now with a lighter handguard.
IMG_0102[1].JPG

Vortex!,

I also have a 20" BCA upper I received for Christmas from my family. At first I was shooting the bulk Hornady 123grn ammunition sold by the Sportsmans Warehouse. I had also read on the internet that BCA barrels were crap at their best and the first rounds at a target pretty much proved that point.

After 60 round down range, I started to see an improvement. I decided to go ahead and work up loads. CFE, no. Power Pro Varmint, no 8208XBR, no way. I was getting pretty decent shotgun patterns at 100yds and I pretty much gave up on the barrel.

I decided that I get steller accuracy from my DPMS GII with H4895 so I found a load on the Nosler reloading data sight and loaded up a ladder from lowest to highest, five rounds each.

I was expecting the same dismal performance but I was way wrong! All five rungs of the ladder were below MOA! I was pretty happy about that. I then tried AR Comp and the results were the same.

I must be the luckiest man alive because I got a good BCA upper and every ASC Grendel magazine I have functions perfectly. All of this is pretty uncommon if one reads around on the forums.

Anyway, I will be loading my BCA 6.5 Grendel with 26.9grn AR Comp, 130gn Nosler RDF for fun and 129 Nosler Long Range Accu-bonds for serious work.

I hope you have good luck with your upper. I have been reading about people with good outcomes with BCA products lately, maybe BCA made a turn for the good?

I picked up a BCA 20" upper back in Feb. Only have 70 rounds thru it but it is showing promise with Hornady Black with groups in the .75" to 1" range at 100. Is it a Faxon or Saturn barrel? No way. But for the price I am pleased so far. After reading about lots of folks saying they need some rounds down the bore before they will group I ran a couple boxes of the Wolf first before trying out the Hornady.

Rebuilt my upper, now with a lighter handguard. View attachment 105455
From almost nothing to almost something! A box of parts 6.5 Grendel AR (mostly) and it's a shooter finally. Ran some reloads and bulk Hornady American Gunner through it today and found a couple excellent loads with the 123 ELDM with 8208XBR and SWPrecision. But the bulk printed a nice group on the left target today! Now time for some paint.
20190721_235739.jpg

I picked up a BCA 20" upper back in Feb. Only have 70 rounds thru it but it is showing promise with Hornady Black with groups in the .75" to 1" range at 100. Is it a Faxon or Saturn barrel? No way. But for the price I am pleased so far. After reading about lots of folks saying they need some rounds down the bore before they will group I ran a couple boxes of the Wolf first before trying out the Hornady.
BCA barrels, for the price, are decent barrels, for the AR, I have several, but don't expect hand lapped accuracy out the box? They come into their own after you put lots of rounds downrange and that's OK.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.