What can the 6.5 Grendel kill?

I've never been a fan of target bullets but the eld is a thicker jacket than the eldx so I've run a few of those when shots are closer. Isn't the 123 a sst? I'm not sure but it thought it was and the 120 was the eld. I bought 3 boxes of black to get mine going still trying to decide on scope and whet I'm gonna use it for. I'm thinking 2.5-10 Nikon. I have one in my 300blk and really like it. I think this round is really gonna shine with the 100gr bullets. I've got 100 hammers ready to rock.

IMG_20181216_083940621.jpg

Lol your right I just looked at mine and saw that. Strange they make a 120 and 123 6.5.

Anyhow I'm always perplexed this cartridge is a 6.5 I think for case size the 6mm turbo or 6mm grendel as most call it would be a better option. 95-105gr very high bc hunting and target bullets. I really wanted to order. A 6mm turbo 40 but could justify the extreme added cost and work of another wildcat over being able to buy factory ammo and easy reload. Man I've been hoping hornady would release a 6mm grendel soon.

I've never been a fan of target bullets but the eld is a thicker jacket than the eldx so I've run a few of those when shots are closer. Isn't the 123 a sst? I'm not sure but it thought it was and the 120 was the eld. I bought 3 boxes of black to get mine going still trying to decide on scope and whet I'm gonna use it for. I'm thinking 2.5-10 Nikon. I have one in my 300blk and really like it. I think this round is really gonna shine with the 100gr bullets. I've got 100 hammers ready to rock.
Hornady offers the SST, Amax, and ELDM in 123 grain bullets. Not sure if the Amax is still being made or not?

Lol your right I just looked at mine and saw that. Strange they make a 120 and 123 6.5.

Anyhow I'm always perplexed this cartridge is a 6.5 I think for case size the 6mm turbo or 6mm grendel as most call it would be a better option. 95-105gr very high bc hunting and target bullets. I really wanted to order. A 6mm turbo 40 but could justify the extreme added cost and work of another wildcat over being able to buy factory ammo and easy reload. Man I've been hoping hornady would release a 6mm grendel soon.
What about a .257 Grendel with a Berger 115 VLD... That would be a nasty setup with a 20" 1:7 twist heavy barrel.

That wouldn't be bad but bc would still lack to the 6mm only advantage would be same fps from shorter barrel.
Plus I think the ideal bullet weight for that case is right around the 100gr mark for speed and bc. Get very high bc with a 95-105 6mm as opposed to a .25.

On a side note I'm thinking of getting a howa mini action in 6.( grendel and cutting sending it to twisted to take off as much weight as possible. Cut barrel to 18" and run the 99 hammers for a very light 300 yards pack gun.

I shot my 2017 blacktail with my 6.5 Grendel also shooting the 123 grain SST's, and that buck got hosed. Slighty quartering away at 75 yards, the bullet impacted the far side shoulder after eating up one lung and sending a few pieces of copper into the heart. I actually ended up losing most of the meat on that far shoulder since there were bone fragments in everything. None of this is a knock to the cartridge, as is performed very well, but it did result in some meat loss as a result of my shot placement. My grendel has turned into a backup for my Custom SMR 6.5 Creedmoor, but It is a coyote hammer.

That wouldn't be bad but bc would still lack to the 6mm only advantage would be same fps from shorter barrel.
Plus I think the ideal bullet weight for that case is right around the 100gr mark for speed and bc. Get very high bc with a 95-105 6mm as opposed to a .25.
Until you toss in something like the new 131 ACE from Blackjack... Then you got a whole new ballgame with BC. :cool:

On a side note I'm thinking of getting a howa mini action in 6.( grendel and cutting sending it to twisted to take off as much weight as possible. Cut barrel to 18" and run the 99 hammers for a very light 300 yards pack gun.
Get the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Grendel. Uses AR mags, and better accuracy from what I hear. Also 1:7 twist, 22" threaded barrel.

Until you toss in something like the new 131 ACE from Blackjack... Then you got a whole new ballgame with BC. :cool:

That's true but I think the grendel didn't have enough case capacity to make that a real option. Especially if loading mag length. Would eat up lots of case capacity. That was the case with anything over 100gr in my brothers 25 dti which is the 6.8 improved necked down to .25.
But I think in the creed size case it would be money. You know I love me some 25 cal.

Get the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Grendel. Uses AR mags, and better accuracy from what I hear. Also 1:7 twist, 22" threaded barrel.

I looked at that and will if I can't get the howa. Looking to even cut down the 20" mini to 16" to cut wait and run a can if I want. The mini is 5.7lbs and after cutting weight should end up less than that with scope. Kinda crazy idea but I think it would be cool.
Now you got me thinking a bolt 25 grendel may let you sit the blkjack out far enough.

I'm just curious what y'all have killed with your 6.5 Grendel? I haven't killed anything except paper so far.
Les Baer 264 LBC upper w/20" barrel and Silencerco Omega suppressor
RRA lower
Nightforce 2.5-10x42 or FLIR RS64 thermal, each with Larue quick detach mounts
Hornady Custom 6.5 Grendel 123 SST ammo
It's a consistent 1/2 MOA shooter.
Here's a video that will give you an idea of what can be done with a Grendel (the shots were taken by my son).

Know your equipment and your own limits...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.