THE GIFT

texas

My wife gave me a Browning A-Bolt stainless stalker with a Leopold vari x ll 3-9x40 silver scope for a 20th anniversary present in 30.06. I wanted something a little larger caliber wise. Any ideas as to what I can convert it to? Like the 338's so that I could use the 300gr SMK's
wink.gif

Power hungry for the long range

Discuss this with her, if it won't offend her, trade it in for the rifle you want. If a trade-in would cause problems, hang the gift over the fireplace and go buy the one you want. Most women are understanding and being expert shoppers that they are, will usually understand a "return" situation. She must be something special to buy you a rifle to begin with!
db

DB offers very wise advice. If she will not be offended, run the alternative by her.

Since you are leaning towards bigger better, consider a long action with a magnum bolt face. Calibre and barrel will not matter as you are likely to change it anyway.

The standard bolt face is limiting and there will be additional costs to modify. Also, if a repeater is desired, the feed rails and follower/magasine may also need to be tweaked.

Start off with a common magnum rifle and any changes are straight forward. A used rifle is also a good idea since most of the rifle will be changed.

how about a used rifle AND a barrel of your liking?

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.