The 338 EDGE is Awesome!!!

steelhead

I was finally able to get to the range today and try out my new EDGE. I loaded up 15 rounds using the following:

300 gr. SMK
92 gr. H1000
CCI 250 primer
Remington Brass (brand new. all I did to it was size it up to 338, deburred the flash holes and slightly chamferred the neck opening)

I started out with a 3 shot 100 yard group:

Edge1st3(2).jpg

If you recall from the other post, Shawn test fired a .242" group. I was able to do the same with my first 3 shots!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I then proceeded to shoot targets at 650 yards, 700 yards and 900 yards. I hit the 650 yard plate with the first round and was able to hit it consistantly. The 700 and 900 yard targets, my tragectory table was off and on each I had to come down 2 moa. After that, it was consistant hits.

Recoil was very pleasant. It was less than my .308's. I could shoot this rifle all day and not be effected by the recoil.

Needless to say, I'm extremely please with this rifle! Shawn did and excellent job. Thanks Shawn!

Devin

**** nice Steel

Looks like you have a definate shooter on your hands. Shawn builds a hell of a gun.

Congrats
Steve

I don't know what speed I'm getting, because I don't have a chronograph. But, I think Shawn says he gets around 2850 out of his. My barrel is 30" long.

He Devin,

We know the 338 Edge is insanely accurate - but how does the gun look? How hard does it kick? Are you going to do load dev or stick with 92gr H1000 & CCI igniters?

Hi Rick,

There is the saying "why mess with perfection", but I may mess around a little with the loadings. I saw no signs of over pressure with this loading. Plus I need to borrow my friends chrono, to see what I'm getting for speed, then I can determine how much faster I'd like to go.

The rifle looks awesome! Shawn did a Southern Idaho color snakeskin pattern on the stock, which consists of coyote brown, sage, some hints of white and black. All the metal work is in coyote brown. You can see a picture of the gun on the thread Shawn stared called "Devin's new 338 EDGE"

very nice indeed! hopefully i'll be shooting my 33/300 in a couple months and would be tickled pink if my results were any where near yours. sweet rifle!

Good group, don't worry much about the velocity make your dope card from your real time experience. Most scopes will turn up enough that velocity will not be a hinderance.I have plenty of data for this chambering with a wide range of bullets and powders shoot me an email if you are interested...

Awesome dude!!!
Congratulations on on heck of a shooter!
You guys have started a burning desire for a 338 Edge.
Only one way to scratch the itch.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What is the noise level like with the brake? I would assume
you would want to use both plugs and muffs for target shooting.

JD338

Thanks JD338,

I went out today with a friend and had him shoot it, mainly to see what the sound would be like, and it really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I only had ear plugs in, no muffs, and it was tolerable. In fact I thought it was more tolerable than my friends 300WM break.

Devin

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts