texture for synthetic stock

shawn68

Well guys, I'm re-painting my stock. I do this to match the season.

I'm wondering what you guys use for texture prior to painting. My only experience is with Brownell's can o' texture. I think its called spray grit.

What have you used and what works well.

I highly recommend Duplil-Color Truck Bed Coating.

Easy to use, hard as nails, just the right roughness and comes in various colors but mostly black /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

yep its good stuff Roy and don't worry I'm sure one day they'll make some pink !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Just kidding , I have found white and black.

After the coating has fully dried you can use some 180 grit sand paper to knock the rough spots off.

Ask the member here that goes by MachV , he has a Savage stock I "re-Built" and coated with this very stuff

I talked to a guy down at line-x. He said that he would spray it in between trucks for 20 bucks. They said it isnt a big deal for them to spray it. Ill post pics after I get it back.

Thats a hell of a deal , I asked some guys that work for a truck place that sprays Rhino Liner and they told be $150 !! I wanted to slap the guy , all that he would have to do would be shoot it , I was gonna mask it all off and have it done the same time my friend has his truck sprayed.
we both ended up getting the Line-X instead

Line-X is another of the spray in bed liners , it has alot of other uses also in the industrial world for reinforcing concrete , noise and viberation dampening and a few other uses but the main one that the general public has is a great truck bed liner.
The HPLV setup that alot of bodyshops use a great to finish gunstocks as the finish can be made from a soft matte to a very deep gloss. The High Pressure Low Volume setup uses less paint at jigher pressure for thinner more even coats , this way you minimize the chance for unevenness and runs , its basicaly the same principle as and air bush.

The rattle can stuff from the auto store is great though it finishes out very tough and like you said it has just the right texture , I took one stock and sanded it back to where it was pretty smooth and left the grp areas alone then spreayed the whole thing with Dura-Cote , it can out great.

One time I did a stock with one of the spray textured hobby paints they make for doing furniture and stuff. It comes in a two part set, one for a base coat/color and one for the cover texture. I used the texture, granite color I think, over a light blue base coat (my choosing) and then covered it with a waterproof clear coat. It turned out great and I love the feel. If you go into a wally world type store and look in their paint section you will find the spray texture paint. Pick your own (read custom hahaha) base color and then one of the cover textures. It is easy, cheap, and works good.

I did this Savage 22lr with Krylon "Make it Stone." Then sprayed it with spar varnish. It seems to be holding up pretty well. The krylon comes in about 8 different colors. The texture is kind of on the rough side. I did a Marlin model 60 in Green with black and grey. It doesn't cost much and spruced up and ugly stock. Just for fun I might change it to "Travertine Tan."

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m277/52449/gun07.jpg

Picked up my stock today from LINE-X.
I am really happy with it. The only gripe I have is that its a little shiny now. Not a big deal. I'm going to camo it with DURA COAT any way. Im going to try and post some picks.

i use zolatone its a textured paint that you can get in alot of different colors they even have one called jungle camo that is very nice and any automotive paint place should have it they can even make it up into spray paint cans for you so that you can do it yourself. have pics if you are interested

Yours looks great to me. That about exactly what I did. The only difference is I painted the stock a different base color (light blue)and didn't completly cover the base color with the Krylon. When I figure out how to post pics I will show.
mike_l, I think we are ALL interested in pics!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.