Texas made monolithic bullets ...

I think a lot of that thread spilled over to this thread. I'm guilty of that. That's on me.
Because these bullets actually have my attention. No outlandish claims. Now just boils down to if they work on game and how close the bc they list is.

Yet that isn't what I said was it?

Many of us here have been around a decade or longer and grilled each other up and down. We know each others strengths and weaknesses, who has or lacks character etc.

I can tell you this, about eight or ten years ago Beans who I just new through our posting here put a rifle up for sale because a job change was going to put him out of the LR game for a long time.

I was between surgeries and short on cash and he sold me the rifle for less than he had in it in parts simply because were were both devotees of the 7mm STW and had shared a whole lot of tips and information back and forth over the years.

I never had to doubt for a second it's performance because I knew I could take the man at his word.

I also knew that if he wanted to be patient he could soak someone for about 4 grand easily which was still less than he'd spent on the rifle but instead he just sent it to a good home for what I could afford.

He has a long and very established track record here and doesn't deserve those types of slights from somone who has no clue who he is.

This site is a true gem on the internet and there's more combined and condensed knowlege and esperience about Long Range Hunting, Shooting, Reloading, components, glass and all that goes into the game here free for anyone to access. We're also largely self policing.

As I said, you're more than welcome here, but to be a bit clearer, you haven't been here near long enough to know the people who's character you would challenge.

Join in, ask questions, share what you know but take a few years to get to know the characters here or ask other old timers if you have a question about someone who seems to be less than they claim or more than they could be and those who are straight shooters vs those who are here to take advantage of newbies to the sport we love and/or to the site.

This is a place you can easily make lifelong friends that can open doors for you like you wouldn't imagine. Just for helping a few others out I've been invited to join them on hunts I could never manage otherwise and have shared some experiences with them that changed my life forever in very positive ways.

Relax, settle in, share what you know and see what you can learn. If you do, ten or fifteen years from now you'll have had the same kind of experiences if you're just honest and show others the same kind of basic respect you'd like to be afforded.
This should be a sticky

It's got to stop guys, at what point does this behavior hurts Steve's business more than it helps?

That say a lot right there.
Take the 6.5 need more. I know guys (and on forums) that if you don't have a 6.5 nm, you don't have a rifle worth having.
If I wanted a 6.5 it would be in 264
But I am thinking of a 260 for my wife.

I've thought about improving a 30-06 and both my Whelens. It would make more work for reloading, but I'm retired and have the time anyway.

I spent a good portion of my life as many know training my own horses and dogs. I prefer gentle corrections when possible rather than overreacting or giving up on one that might have something to offer in the future.

Yes, that means sometimes you waste a lot of effort but it helps with keeping a positive attitude.

I think that what you have written here is correct; however.......I also believe that there are times where circumstances do not warrant wasting one's time. Twenty-two years ago, at the age of fifty-three, I had two heart attacks. After that second heart attack I had an entirely different view of life and I was determined to remove all of the stressful things that were in my life. These stressors included the people who were rude or just uncomplimentary or simply sapping the life out of me. From that time on I removed all of the "butt-holes" (<<<--being kind here ) in my life, got out of a dead marriage and changed the environment surrounding my life. I can relate to having strong opinions, and totally agree with what you have written here about gentle corrections; however, at seventy-five years of age I feel that I no longer have the time nor the energy to allow someone to verbally attack another person to "prove" just how right they are over another. There are a few members who I follow on this forum, included in these members are FEENIX as well as yourself and a few others who will see me pop up with an opinion or a simple "šŸ‘" to a reply. As I previously wrote, if one does not like what they are reading simply go on to read another post. Again I thank you for the reply.

I can only say this because I had 7 witnesses.

the short version is I had a brand new CZ 527 .204 Ruger I'd been gifted by the CEO who I guided and consulted for on various firearms they wanted to bring to the US Market.

We're quail hunting about 40 mi west of town and around 11 a.m a big front blew in from the west NW.

Within minutes the winds are gusting 40-50mph.

We call lunch and load up into two vehicles.

Just as we lock the gate and turn east on the Highway a coyote breaks into a dead run heading NE with the wind almost exactly running tail to head.

One of the guys says, "Hey CR why don't you shoot him", I say "not in this wind," he repeats and say what the heck.

By the time I get on him he's easily at 350 still running about 35mph or so.

I try to figure the wind in my head along with the drop and just miss him right above his nose.

He of course immediately kicks it up to about 50mph, I throw another one in.

I figure by now the wind and the speed are pretty much a wash put it just above the nose and pull the trigger.

He cartwheels to the edge of the brush surrounding the Wheatfield.

We measured it at 540 yards from the door to the coyote and I figure he covered about 12-15 yards of that distance after being dead with a perfect hit just below the crown of the head and no exit. Customer wanted the head and hide to decorate his coffee table so he could always remember the event.

A customer who was along is describing this event to one of our local "experts" who was to say the least a rather unpleasant fellow a couple of years later, to which the expert replies, "Just a lucky shot, the coyote must have run into the bullet". Customer chuckles and smiles and says, I've been hunting with him for ten years, he gets lucky a lot.

Expert tucked his tail and retreated to his table and never bothered us again.
My elder brother, who was a professor at Texas Tech, made the 25 yard pistol shot(s) from my youngest brother's pickup. We were in the bed and had been shooting prairie dogs down at Pecos, Texas. We were carrying .44 S&W M29's with 4" barrels so if we saw a feral hog we could shoot it. Driving back, a jackrabbit ran across the turnrow. We both drew, but Bob was faster by about a hair, and shot as I was just starting my trigger pull. He shot as my youngest brother was hitting the brakes, and hit the rabbit. I thought what a lucky shot. Then 4 minutes later, another jackrabbit, another draw, another shot while braking and another hit. The running P-dog was done on that ranch by him while I was getting ready to shoot with a Ruger M77 in 6mm Rem. I was shooting them out to about 350yds that day, but the wind was around 5 to 7mph, so easy peasy. I still have both rifles. Your coyote was a great shot, and no accident. The 100 yard shot was me, with a Smith M29-2 with 6 1/2" barrel, and done on the farm we lived on near Ralls. There were four of us and we were all using pistols. We killed four or five rabbits for the dogs, most running. We shot rabbits from tractors while cultivating and planting, too. The dogs got fed good. We missed a lot, but we got to where we hit a lot, too. We used pistols for that, too. Rifles don't fit well in the cab of a tractor.

Bud I'll try anything and if it works I'll let you know, as for Steve and Brian I assure you that they would expect nothing less from me, once again you know about a fourth of what you think you do, No offence intended, And I'm not endorsing anything, they work for me
They work for me too it's a matter of preference , if another bullet company comes out with something just as good I will still shoot Hammer bullets because they just work for me I've been loading for over 50 yrs . I have a hundreds of lbs of other bullets I don't even waste my time on any more .Hammer bullets have made it easy for me in many ways as a hand loader and hunter and it is a big plus too be able too call the owner of Hammer bullets with free advice if you need it . It seems they go out of there way too please the customer and are aware of any negatives of there bullets if there is any with always trying too improve on there bullets performance I'm getting too old too keep waisting my time loading bullets that takes way too much time when you might as well shoot factory ammo , so Hammer bullets it is.

They work for me too it's a matter of preference , if another bullet company comes out with something just as good I will still shoot Hammer bullets because they just work for me I've been loading for over 50 yrs . I have a hundreds of lbs of other bullets I don't even waste my time on any more .Hammer bullets have made it easy for me in many ways as a hand loader and hunter and it is a big plus too be able too call the owner of Hammer bullets with free advice if you need it . It seems they go out of there way too please the customer and are aware of any negatives of there bullets if there is any with always trying too improve on there bullets performance I'm getting too old too keep waisting my time loading bullets that takes way too much time when you might as well shoot factory ammo , so Hammer bullets it is.
I can see myself taking on the same path. I just started with 7mm-08 and load developing was more fun than any other bullet I've shot to include my beloved Amax murder pills! That got me stamped supporter apparently. That is because:

1. You call, they answer, and don't fairy dust sugar coat anything
2. The bullets are always in stock
3. They support LRH and a sponsor
4. They accommodate customer requests in a timely manner
5. They support EMS and veterans
6. The bullets are lethal
7. The "Hammer Trail" is a cool added bonus
8. The bullets are easy to load develop and jump insensitive

I imagine the 140 SH incoming for my 35 Rem will solve the cup & core failure I've experienced thus far. We shall see hopefully!

So Once again I ask, Do you have to hold for the wind with your high BC Bullet ?
Of course I do. So does anyone else, and inside about 600 yards, its nearly the same windage for the higher BC as it is for the lower, even at the same MV. A deer and a man have about the same kill zone. The front of the chest to the back of the chest and back to bottom of chest on a deer or the top of chest(neck) to lower chest and shoulder width on a man are about 18". So a hit inside a 15" circle kills. The target can't tell that the bullet drifted or dropped two or three inches more than planned due to poor BC. Its still dead or down. And I don't mostly shoot the 'high BC' bullets. I'm quite happy with Speer, Hornaday, Sierra and Nosler. If the Corelokt was still cheap, I'd be using that for practice. As for windage, I use a Shepherd scope and dial the reticule over, while using the stadia line for elevation. I can hit consistently at distances out to 900 and 1,000 yards with it, and practice at distance when I can find a place to do so. I've been shooting for about 55 years, both in and out of the army and in Eastern Europe, the Far East and the Near East, along with the Mid-West and the High Plains with rifles and pistols of various calibers and teaching both basic and advanced marksmanship to soldiers and civilians for around 35 years or so. I know most of the Sniper Training and Employment manual by heart. Carlos Hathcock, Chris Kyle and Billy Dixon are my heroes. I had to study max ords, be able to construct range fans for improvised ranges in the field (Saudi and other places) and know how far a Bradley or tank round would go if fired by accident at a certain elevation, how far to figure a danger zone for small arms, including the .50 Cal. MG, and what the max ord was because of possible overflights by aircraft. I use a range finder in canyon country like Crawford because distances there are deceptive, but I don't require it, because I've been doing this in rough terrain for a very long time, and have expended a couple of hundred thousand rounds of both mine and the Army's ammunition at targets both inanimate and living. I did it for a living. I also did it to stay alive. You get good and maybe really lucky when the alternative is getting dead. I didn't get dead, or wounded and I didn't lose any men. My youngest brother got dinged a couple times, but he was in the stuff more than me, and ran with the funny green hat guys. He has four boy scout badges from them, including medic, explosives and sniper. Back to your question: I practice in the wind, usually with a spotter, and learn both actual drop and wind drift by actually shooting the rifle/load/bullet combination until I can hit at a given distance. I don't guess when I can shoot under real world conditions, both at the range and in the field. I don't worry about BC on paper. I shoot the round and see what the drop/drift is at the altitude and wind conditions where I'm hunting. I find out what the 'beaten area' of the load is at distance, and determine if it is small enough to give a better than 90% hit in the 12" kill zone on my target at the distance I'm going to shoot. I minimize my guess work. I learned to do that a very long time ago, and it kept me alive because it let me be accurate when it was real. I shoot hundreds of practice rounds at small targets at distance for every round I launch at game.

It was wishful thinking on my part.
Not really. I now know they're doing bullets, and I have a brother near Houston. I can get him to maybe get me some of the .30 cal. They look promising, and if they can keep it up, I'm sure they will develop a heavier offering that will stabilize in a standard twist barrel. They're probably too expensive for practice, but I could load a few in my rifles for deer and elk. Or Antelope.

I think that what you have written here is correct; however.......I also believe that there are times where circumstances do not warrant wasting one's time. Twenty-two years ago, at the age of fifty-three, I had two heart attacks. After that second heart attack I had an entirely different view of life and I was determined to remove all of the stressful things that were in my life. These stressors included the people who were rude or just uncomplimentary or simply sapping the life out of me. From that time on I removed all of the "butt-holes" (<<<--being kind here ) in my life, got out of a dead marriage and changed the environment surrounding my life. I can relate to having strong opinions, and totally agree with what you have written here about gentle corrections; however, at seventy-five years of age I feel that I no longer have the time nor the energy to allow someone to verbally attack another person to "prove" just how right they are over another. There are a few members who I follow on this forum, included in these members are FEENIX as well as yourself and a few others who will see me pop up with an opinion or a simple "šŸ‘" to a reply. As I previously wrote, if one does not like what they are reading simply go on to read another post. Again I thank you for the reply.
You've got the right idea. I turned 70 this Fall, and I find I lack patience, for which I ask forebearance. Thanks, by the way, for your service. And I still hate nap of the earth and pilots who try to see if they can make you puke. I didn't, but the guy in the middle did just after we unassed the aircraft. Canyons and ground effect. It was fun, actually.

Not really. I now know they're doing bullets, and I have a brother near Houston. I can get him to maybe get me some of the .30 cal. They look promising, and if they can keep it up, I'm sure they will develop a heavier offering that will stabilize in a standard twist barrel. They're probably too expensive for practice, but I could load a few in my rifles for deer and elk. Or Antelope.
LšŸ˜‡L! I could be wrong but I do not think that's what @Grizzly60 meant.

Recent Posts