Tell me about Winchester Power Points

timberelk

Ended up picking up a 270 win Browning xbolt western hunter for $625 because my buddy passed on it and I couldn't pass up that deal.

I picked up all the reloading stuff needed including some nosler ballistic tip 130s and some H4831SC.

I also picked up one box of the cheapest factory ammo I could find: 150 grain Winchester power point.

After doing a load test with 5 groups of 4 with the nosler BT, best group was about 1.25" at 100 yards with many groups being around 1.5-1.75"..

Well that super cheap Winchester shot incredible! I'm talking legit 1/2" and 3/4" groups at 100 yards!

Does anyone know what powder Winchester uses for these factory loads? Any idea how much? And I can't seem to find the 150 grain .277 bullets to reload anywhere on the internet. Does Winchester make them for reloaders?

Don't know what Win. uses, but any of the 4350s should bring you the same accuracy.

For the ballistic tips, I was using 4831 SC. Do you think the gun just prefers 150s vs 130s? Not necessarily the PowerPoint bullets, just any 150s?

For the ballistic tips, I was using 4831 SC. Do you think the gun just prefers 150s vs 130s? Not necessarily the PowerPoint bullets, just any 150s?
It's really hard to tell this early in your research. I can usually pick a bullet I want, and find the powder it likes. It sometimes takes several powders.

Winchester factory loads favor their powders, try w780 supreme or w760 ,sadly they don't offer their bullets for sale. Congrats on that new 270 Smart buy , great rifle , I'm a big fan of Alliants powders, but use others also ,rl/22,rl/23 kik -zz,imr4831, just as good , many 270s shoot all bullets weights just fine,enjoy your Rifle !

It is my understanding that each factory uses their own 'proprietary' load. It could be a single type of powder or a blend of different powders.
Never try to figure out what powder they are using just by looking at it and weighing it. These companies have spent a lot of money developing their loads, so I do not think if you wrote to the company they would tell you.

Also, I know people have done it, but never try to mix powders. Well, let me rephrase that: Never try to mix powders unless you have a gun, arm, eye, fingers or other body parts you no longer care to own.

the bad / good news is , now you know what the rifle can do ... your rifle has set the bar for you...

are you going to be at the range tomorrow? looks like its gonna be a good day

i would guess ,
the 130's noslers will work but i might go with a faster powder for them like h4350 as stated above by gohring3006

look at it like timing , when you add powder it is just adding pressure behind the bullet so it leaves your barrel a little sooner or later , just by chance the winchester power point just happen to be leaving your muzzle at that perfect time when the muzzle isnt vibrating on that end of the barrel ,

what a reloader is trying to accomplish is: to time whatever bullet they choose to leave the barrel at the time when is has the least vibration at the muzzle , at the fastest speed possible , without exceeding safe pressures

so when you say you loaded up 5 groups of 4 , i think you may have missed the timing with all of your loads because either they were to far apart , or they didnt cover enough of the minimum to maximum span

morning, I use W760 powder, Winchester brass, fed. primers and
150 accu-bond or the Nosler new technologies bullets. now
there is a ammo called Monarch. was cheap. I had the happenings
with a 243. bought the Monarch ammo 100gr. sierra
game king, shot in the same hole. anything below 100gr.
would not group. just me GBOT TUM

i would guess ,
the 130's noslers will work but i might go with a faster powder for them like h4350 as stated above by gohring3006

look at it like timing , when you add powder it is just adding pressure behind the bullet so it leaves your barrel a little sooner or later , just by chance the winchester power point just happen to be leaving your muzzle at that perfect time when the muzzle isnt vibrating on that end of the barrel ,

what a reloader is trying to accomplish is: to time whatever bullet they choose to leave the barrel at the time when is has the least vibration at the muzzle , at the fastest speed possible , without exceeding safe pressures

so when you say you loaded up 5 groups of 4 , i think you may have missed the timing with all of your loads because either they were to far apart , or they didnt cover enough of the minimum to maximum span

I only covered 2 grains from 55 to 57 with those 5 groups so maybe I haven't loaded it hot enough yet to find that sweet spot

Work up to it in your rifle but 60 grs H4831 or the SC version has been a long time go to load with 130s in the 270 win. That is about a grain more than most data list these days but the 60 gr load used to be right on the plastic bottles of H4831. I have always had great accuracy with this load using Remington cases, CCIBR2, 130 Nosler BT or Sierra Game King loaded 10 thousands off the lands. Usually runs between 3100 & 3200 fps depending on barrel length. For the average size deer 130 gr bullets have worked best for me. 150s are usually constructed a bit tougher and are meant for larger game like Elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.