Teflon coatings??

G

well i gots a action @ the smith now... looking into calibers to play with but i know i want to with the teflon ... what do you all think of the coating and where would you have it done? thanks

also whats with the armor tuff i see wilson combats has? this same as teflon? thanks

[ 08-13-2004: Message edited by: JordanM ]

When you do order from KG, make sure you order the 1600 series coating since it is the only version that is teflon based. If you read the discription of the 2400 series, it states that it is teflon and/or moly based. Teflon being more expensive than moly, you can be sure that it is only moly based.

1600 satin black is king.

Ronnie

Wilson is a type of teflon. Most teflon come from either Dupont or KG Coatings. All of the gun makers use one or the other and give it their special name to make it sound better than the other guy's stuff.
When I teflon a rifle in my shop, all the parts are disassembled, de-greased, bead blasted then the chrome-moly parts are parkerized and then everything is sprayed and baked.
The SS parts skip the parkerizing step, since SS doesn't parkerize.
This does to things:
1. It provides two layers of rust protection.
2. The parkerizing acts like a primer and the teflon really sticks to it. This makes it just a bit tougher.

Teflon has another benefit in it self lubricates. A little oil is still needed but tefloned actions feel a bit smoother than blued or parked actions.
If you go to www.kgcoatings.com you can read a bit more aboout it. It is the type I use and have been pleased with it and ask Dave King- his rifles and my rifles have been drug through hell and back. Look at our bear hunt thread in the general discussion area and you'll see what I mean!
Back to KG,like I said it's what I use and it is available in any color from matte black to pink to a custom color. But his site will give you a bit more technical specs of it etc.....
As an add on I have used the Duracoat from Lauer also, it wears good but take about 30 days even after baking to fully cure. If you don't let it sit for this time bore solvents will take it right off when you clean you rifle.
After the 30 days or so, the only way to get it off it bead blasting. The KG is good to go the second the parts come out off the oven.

[ 08-14-2004: Message edited by: chris matthews ]

Chris, Is it OK to teflon after bedding, or does the process add enough to the dimensions that one should coat then bed?

Rick

I always teflon after bedding. Properly applied teflon adds 0.0004" not enough to make a difference. If anything it tightens up a bed job a little.

JordanM ,
If you can shoot roos from Pennsylvania I want to know what calibre you're using ?
wink.gif
Now that IS long range !

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.