Teaser....

Joel, is this Bubinga anything like Iron Wood???

Hey, thanks for not making me buy a vowel but can I use my phone a friend or 50/50 to try and figure out what the heck your building????? :D:D

Joel,
There are gunsmiths and there are gunsmiths who are craftsman. You are definately a craftsman. Another beautiful rifle. The bubinga wood is eye catching for sure. I am tagging along to see the finished product knowing it will be worth it.

Joel, is this Bubinga anything like Iron Wood???

Hey, thanks for not making me buy a vowel but can I use my phone a friend or 50/50 to try and figure out what the heck your building????? :D:D

Thanks guys....

There are many different sub-species of Ironwood, but most people refer to the most common being Desert Ironwood which is actually harder than Bubinga on the Janka Scale. Ironwood is extremely difficult to work with, and dulls carbide cutters quickly. It has a tendency to become brittle due to it's extreme hardness. I made a stock out of it for a member here years ago, but just never took a liking to it. It's commonly used for knife scales, as it takes a high polish after sanding.

Dan sounded very excited about getting started with the project. I told how nice the stock you did for one of my customers in Texas.I too would love see your work.
Nat Lambeth

We haven't finalized the details yet. I'm currently building a high end stock with all the bells and whistles for his partner, Harold Fredd. I've slowed down the stock building considerably, and have focused on building the top shelf stuff which takes an enormous amount of time.

Joel as you know I don't do wood stocks, for customers. I only do the metal work. I do a few synthetic stocks an metal tube stocks. I know Steve (Texas) was very pleased with the stock you did for the barreled action that I sent to you. When I have request for a wood stock. I refer them to you.
Nat Lambeth

Russo defines "virgin soak coat" as applying the first coat of a blend of oil and other solvents to a raw piece of wood. This "virgin soak coat" allows the solvents to draw the oil into the wood to further seal and enhance the patina of such a fine specimen. This is a long and laborious process that must be completed by careful manipulation of both the specimen and the oil. At the conclusion of the process, it will become quite apparent that the "virgin soak coat" was beneficial to the outcome.....:rolleyes:

like linseed oil thinned with turpentine and sloshed on with an old whitewash brush? probably nobody remembers whitewash either. lol

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.