Teaching somebody to chamber a barrel

Tbaxl

Hey everybody,

One of my first posts here but I've been lurking for a while. I'm a 21 year old engineering student at the university of Alabama. I've always done my own gun work if it was within my abilities, but I am putting a new barrel on my tikka and would like to learn how to use a lathe and how to chamber a barrel. Is there anybody in Alabama that would be generous enough to help a young guy out and teach me something I really want to learn. I appreciate any replies. Thanks.

You need to become a reasonably competent lathe 'hand' before thinking about chambering a rifle barrel. Concentrate on that first. People who have 'working shops' don't have the time, because of economic concerns, to be an 'instructor'. "Training" by one hobbyist to another can just pass on bad habits and bad information. A basic "machine tool technology" course would be my suggestion for starting out. If you own a lathe you might try to 'teach' yourself.

Last edited:
Your best bet is to Google Gordy
Gritters. He is top 1k and lr smith. He runs one on one classes to teach blue printing, chambering and how to stress free bed. One of the best. Well worth the cost. He tailors to your time etc.

Your best bet is to Google Gordy
Gritters. He is top 1k and lr smith. He runs one on one classes to teach blue printing, chambering and how to stress free bed. One of the best. Well worth the cost. He tailors to your time etc.
After viewing Gordys' web site, it says he (Gordy) will supply the 'project', and there just isn't time to work with a clients' project. I, also, think that Tbaxl is looking for free instruction in Alabama. I'd bet his engineering education isn't 'free'.

After viewing Gordys' web site, it says he (Gordy) will supply the 'project', and there just isn't time to work with a clients' project. I, also, think that Tbaxl is looking for free instruction in Alabama. I'd bet his engineering education isn't 'free'.
Your not wrong, I can't afford any of the classes these people have mentioned. My money has to go towards college.

Then spend your money on school, not on luxuries. A cool, accurate rifle is a luxury. A good, S.S. barrel blank from any reputable barrel maker will cost you $350. You might question the validity and quality of a "free" engineering degree. So, I'd question the quality of "free" lathe/chambering instruction. It might be good,,, it might not be.... It's not rocket science, but it does require some special knowledge and skills no one was born with. Without some basic machining/lathe skills you may as well stand out in the north wind and take a 'wizz' while facing north! A guy doesn't become a machinist or gunsmith because he's too stupid to learn anything else. Not if he's good at his work......

Really good advice above. Set a goal for later in life to learn how to do your own stuff, and take care of the business at hand now. It takes a fair investment of both time, and money, to gain specialized knoweldge. Wait.....you already know this!

morning, with knowledge comes monies. u have to b
mechanically inclined read blue prints and the operate
very expensive machine shop equipment. mechanist
r a quirky professors in there art. I for one know.
u never know or learn and know enough. there is a vast
yearning for knowledge and to create a work of art.
perfection is everything. the art of being a smithy
is a deep hole of knowledge. Mr. Russo on this site
is a master of wood. justme gbot tum

Then spend your money on school, not on luxuries. A cool, accurate rifle is a luxury. A good, S.S. barrel blank from any reputable barrel maker will cost you $350. You might question the validity and quality of a "free" engineering degree. So, I'd question the quality of "free" lathe/chambering instruction. It might be good,,, it might not be.... It's not rocket science, but it does require some special knowledge and skills no one was born with. Without some basic machining/lathe skills you may as well stand out in the north wind and take a 'wizz' while facing north! A guy doesn't become a machinist or gunsmith because he's too stupid to learn anything else. Not if he's good at his work......
I don't think I ever questioned the intelligence of any gunsmith or machinists. But I guess you didn't notice that the whole point of this post is that I'm in college and can't afford to take a class or anything like that. The hope was that there was someone willing and nice enough to help me out. I know I can't expect most people to help me because they are using their machine skills for their day job and don't have time. But I guess the entire point of this post went right over your head. I never asked for your opinion on what I should do, I asked for someone's generosity and to possibly help me.

Look for a Part-time job at the best smith
I don't think I ever questioned the intelligence of any gunsmith or machinists. But I guess you didn't notice that the whole point of this post is that I'm in college and can't afford to take a class or anything like that. The hope was that there was someone willing and nice enough to help me out. I know I can't expect most people to help me because they are using their machine skills for their day job and don't have time. But I guess the entire point of this post went right over your head. I never asked for your opinion on what I should do, I asked for someone's generosity and to possibly help me.
College isn't free. There's no generosity there. Engineers aren't free, either. Just why would gunsmithing instruction be free? Your post did not go over my head. I get it! You just want it for free! Like most other GenY..............

College isn't free. There's no generosity there. Engineers aren't free, either. Just why would gunsmithing instruction be free? Your post did not go over my head. I get it! You just want it for free! Like most other GenY..............
How out of touch, there is a large difference between demanding instruction versus asking for help. I come in here asking for help and your response is basically to screw off. I can't use my schools machine shop because they won't allow most students, so I asked for somebody else to help teach me a skill many my age are unwilling or don't want to learn. I spend my time in school studying and during the summer I work full time in construction. You judged me based on me being gen Y but have no clue who I actually am. How short sighted of you. Thanks for no help.

I build houses (not guns) for a living, and if somebody asks me how the frame a wall I dont hesitate to tell them how to do it. If some young college kid wanted to come ride around with me and learn how to yell at subs from the truck I wouldn't have a problem in the world with that. (That's a joke of course, i get out of the truck to yell) And I would imagine most of you folks that take time out of their day to answer questions for complete strangers on the internet and share your expertise with someone a little greener than yourself are just the same. In fact the majority of the folks commenting on this thread have helped me directly, by answering questions I've had, and every one of you indirectly by answering somebody else's question. So I know you are all generous in the sharing of your knowledge. But I don't understand some of the responses this kid has received. I worked in a shop with 3 "old" guys when I was a bit younger who are just the type who would welcome a kid like this to come in and help out in exchange for a bit of knowledge. I didnt see him asking for a handout, and my advice to him in a PM was find a little mom and pop machine shop and ask if he could sweep the floor for free for the chance to get in and start learning to run a machine. Surely there's a drawer full of broken or dull drill bits. they could teach him to sharpen a bit in about 15 mins then spend a week turning trash into something usable again. Then on to grinding cutting tools, then maybe one day let him dig through the scrap bin and find a piece of steel to make chips...
If a fellow were willing to go through such trouble to learn from a bunch of old timers in such a manner, I dont think anybody in here would take issue with that. Not being a gunsmith myself, I only have to assume that learning how to run a lathe is a good start in the right direction to learning how to cut a chamber. Obviously not the right place to start with learning to become a gunsmith, but he wants to be an engineer...and who knows maybe having some knuckle head engineer straight out of college with a construction background and some time behind a lathe might make him a little less useless to the rest of us having to build the crap he draws!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.