How to guide for chambering a Barrel?

E4aker

I'm interested in getting into hobby gunsmithing. I have been researching lathes and was wondering if their was any good resources for learning the ins and outs about barrel chambering. I know nothing will replace experience, but everyone has to start somewhere. As many Smiths that are on the site, I would think someone would have an instructional video. Any insight or suggestions would be great.

Thanks, Earl

Earl, I've seen references on this site to videos, but don't remember them. However, I have 2 books by Hinnant, John L. (on Remington's) that are excellent. They're out in my garage, and it's late, so I don't have the exact titles or publisher, but if you search for Hinnant, you should find them. If not, P/M me or post and I'll get the exact info for you.

You're on the right track, Tom

Last edited:
Chambering a barrel..

Go to a NRA mini course, read everything out their, get enrolled into a machinist class at a community college and remember there are many ways to skin a cat.

Find a mentor who does high quality work.

There are three types of chambers reamed today.

1.The smith who chambers poor quality actions and low end barrels for the cheap person. Mostly hunting actions.

2. The smith who uses good quality products put poor technique and tooling.

3. The smith who uses the best quality actions, barrels, tooling, and technique.

With the advacement also come the price you pay.

Good smiths are in high demand. Adverage smiths are a dime a dozen.

Keep an open mind to new methods and tooling. Some are gimics and others are god sins.

Rustystud

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts