Targets...Brake rotors?

Here is a photo of one of my scrap steel targets. It is some kind of wheel bushing. It measures 2.5" wide & 1.375: high. Some kind of soft steel. Shown is a 300-yard hit from a 6mm 87 gr VMax out of a 6mm AI at a MV just under 3500 mv. The hit crater is about .375 " deep & just under .5" wide. This event occurred just before range closing on a dull overcast day. I wanted to check out my optic's low light performance and get some appreciation of TOF with high velocity loads on a moving target. I like zippy loads. Upon the hit a whole blast of sparks rained out from the target. I expected some of that but not as much; I checked to see if any flammable junk was under the target.

After that only AR500 targets. Big amount of bullet fragments (smoke) in different directions but no hot steel.

The little crater was made by a .20P, 40 VMax, at a MV of 3650 fps, same range, same 300 yards.

I have seen steel plates used for tracked heavy equipment used for targets - hard tough steel.

IMG_1643.JPG
IMG_1644.JPG

Last edited:
I have a bunch of brake rotors and am wondering of they would make good targets at 1000 yds for 338 Lapua and 50BMG. I am thinking they might just shatter without ringing or anything. Anyone ever try them?
Hang one up and let us know, the probably won't ring , hang one on a chain and hit it with a hammer. Thud

My B-I-L works in State water quality office.. asked me a year ago if I wanted a manhole cover to set up for a target.. I said sure, we'll try it.. few days later one of his service department dump trucks shows up at my house.. guy dropped 20 of them in my yard.. said have fun setting them up..
I still haven't moved them out to the range.. those things are HEAVY

This is one we set up a 800 so far holding up really well shot it Saturday with a 6.5 Sherman it took it like a man David

Attachments

• 1A2D3083-97FD-41B5-A833-7F6029B52F10.jpeg
    1A2D3083-97FD-41B5-A833-7F6029B52F10.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 43
Here is a photo of one of my scrap steel targets. It is some kind of wheel bushing. It measures 2.5" wide & 1.375: high. Some kind of soft steel. Shown is a 300-yard hit from a 6mm 87 gr VMax out of a 6mm AI at a MV just under 3500 mv. The hit crater is about .375 " deep & just under .5" wide. This event occurred just before range closing on a dull overcast day. I wanted to check out my optic's low light performance and get some appreciation of TOF with high velocity loads on a moving target. I like zippy loads. Upon the hit a whole blast of sparks rained out from the target. I expected some of that but not as much; I checked to see if any flammable junk was under the target.

After that only AR500 targets. Big amount of bullet fragments (smoke) in different directions but no hot steel.

The little crater was made by a .20P, 40 VMax, at a MV of 3650 fps, same range, same 300 yards.

I have seen steel plates used for tracked heavy equipment used for targets - hard tough steel.

View attachment 346812View attachment 346813
FMJ 5.56 rounds make tremendous sparks when fired at a AR 500 steel target and observed through a night vision scope, just saying 😂. Oh, BTW I had to stomp out some brush and leaves that were maybe a little to dry 🤣😁