Targets...Brake rotors?

I think you would be better off investing in a couple AR 500 targets or AR 550... I started on non AR 500 targets and just ended up there anyway. A 308 at 500 yards will penetrate more than you'd guess of non AR 500.. Many companies like ShootSteel or JC steel targets or Xsteel make great targets for a few bucks, but if you are just wanting to see what happens, go for it...

Yes, they work. I used the old rotors from my Suburban for pistol. Not sure how they would stand up to rifle, never wanted to find out.
I have also used the ductile iron rectangular clamp used for RR ties as a pistol target. Rings nicely, tough as hell.
When they replace rails, they'll clean up everything, and you'll still find a bunch of those laying about on the side of the RR berm.

Edit to add - when they're free, and you don't have to worry about ricochet in the middle of a 1000+ acre field like I understand you may shoot in, what's not to try or like about using rotors?

brake rotors will shatter I did get 2 man hole covers to try the other day I had one shell in my 6 creedmoor left to shoot but didn't hold enough wind at 800 and missed I shot it 3 times with 22 creedmoor put a dimple in it the size of the point on a 16 penny nail need to load some more heavier bullets up. David

I have a bunch of brake rotors and am wondering of they would make good targets at 1000 yds for 338 Lapua and 50BMG. I am thinking they might just shatter without ringing or anything. Anyone ever try them?
On the bright side….if shooting with partners, everytime you don't hit, you can say you went through the center hole.

Giddy up.... Use those rotors... Fire up your welder and stitch a couple chain-links at 10 and 2 and then hang them off a quad-pod.

Free steel....

Whoever said, don't mess with it and buy 500 steel doesn't know jack. Free steels... how could you go wrong?

Paint them Bright White and you gotta target.

Love it!

I have a bunch of brake rotors and am wondering of they would make good targets at 1000 yds for 338 Lapua and 50BMG. I am thinking they might just shatter without ringing or anything. Anyone ever try them?
I got a bunch you can have! What about the massive hole right in the center? Btw they'll break and I pretty much guarantee that. At least with any cartridge with any authority. I'm a mechanic and have broke them when hitting them with a hammer removing them. What I've done is gone to a metal scrap yard and found a 1/4" steel plate that was 18"x20" and it makes a great 1k target. Big cartridges will put holes it it but it's good up to 300 win mag/prc

Recent Posts