Target turrets for hunting

rcoody

I really like the target turrets on my range guns but for hunting I find they are easily bumped. Have to check them often and in the heat of.the.moment I am afraid I will have.a bad outcome.

I use a vx-6 with a CDS dial and capped windage most of.the time. Real easy to check that one. I do have a couple with target turrets and checking windage and elevation gets tiresome. They stick up so high they are very vulnerable.

What do you guys do? Do they make a locking.target turret?

Maybe you're one of those 'youngsters' that hunts with track shoes on! Me? I find a good place and sit on my ***! Had lots of game run over me by those beating the bushes!!

Well where I am from most climb up in a condo stand on a food.plot and ambush them as they come out to feed.

I find little challenge in that. Much rather pattern a buck, take my climber and get down in the cypress swamps where he.lives. if I get that guy I feel I have accomplished something. Pretty rough down in there though.

The hd5's have locking turrets, I own one of those and don't see it coming loose during a hunt. Vx6 are now offered in a CDs-zl where you have to push a button on the turret to turn it if I remember right.

The hd5's have locking turrets, I own one of those and don't see it coming loose during a hunt. Vx6 are now offered in a CDs-zl where you have to push a button on the turret to turn it if I remember right.

Now that is what I am looking for. I own 3.vx-6'so

Thanks I will check into it

no problem, I picked up a vx6 without the zl because of the zero stop that comes with the cds turret. Now that I'm told the zerostop is a littly hokey I wish I would of bought the zl instead. If its any more functional

I'm a walking varmint hunter. Constantly walking, climbing, crossing streams & various fence lines. Never damaged my gun or caused POA changes with this. My gun get's at least the same considerations as my $2800 ranging binocular.
If I were 'bumping' my gun so much as to change turret settings, Pretty sure I'd be changing other things about it this well.

If you walk a lot in rough terrain, I recommend the target turrets that have caps. you can take them off if you settle down in a good spot to be able to adjust if need be.

The other choice is lower target turrets that are less likely to get struck by something, knocking them off.

For extreme hunting conditions there are scope that have very low turrets and are easy to adjust with your fingers (Not a coin)that also have caps.

Some people even place a tall turret on the elevation and a low turret on the Windage because of the use at different yardages, and very little Windage corrections.

Like everything else in this sport, use has the most effect on the product choice.

J E CUSTOM

Well where I am from most climb up in a condo stand on a food.plot and ambush them as they come out to feed.

I find little challenge in that. Much rather pattern a buck, take my climber and get down in the cypress swamps where he.lives. if I get that guy I feel I have accomplished something. Pretty rough down in there though.

Well...at 76 I've already done all that.....maybe when you were just a 'glimmer' in your father's eye! I climbed trees using climbing spurs and froze my *** off for 30 years...bow and rifle hunting sitting on a piece of plywood nailed across two 2x4's so I think I've earned the right over a period of 65 years of deer and elk hunting to sit in what I call a 'schitt-house' stand to keep from freezing my *** off! And if I don't even pick up my rifle.....I've had a helluva good day!:D:)

Here's the view from my 'schitt house':

Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well...at 76 I've already done all that.....maybe when you were just a 'glimmer' in your father's eye! I climbed trees using climbing spurs and froze my *** off for 30 years...bow and rifle hunting sitting on a piece of plywood nailed across two 2x4's so I think I've earned the right over a period of 65 years of deer and elk hunting to sit in what I call a 'schitt-house' stand to keep from freezing my *** off! And if I don't even pick up my rifle.....I've had a helluva good day!:D:)

Here's the view from my 'schitt house':

Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Nice view. I am 61 so I can relate. Not as spry as I used to be.

When I retire in a few years I hope to join you in those western lands. Love it from new Mexico to Montana.Millions of acres of public land and if you are willing to hike a.little you can get away from a lot of the.people.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.