Talk me through unit research

Highvoltage

We've hunting Colorado in years past using a trespass fee for private land. I'm in the planning stages of next years hunt talk me through the most important stats you look at when hunting a unit in order. Is it success odds, private land, bull/cow ratios, hunters,? Seems like there are tons of stats for each unit. Would love a general idea on how to use all the stats to make a good unit choice. Please feel free to pm me if you would like to keep your comments private.

thanks and best wishes

highvoltage

I dont really look at stats. When I research I look at success percentages and how many tags are given. Gives me an Idea of how busy it's going to be and herd conditions. I'll usually ask fish and wildlife as well, and talk to biologist of what's being eaten in that area during that time of year or whatever. Then I get on my maps and I pick some areas to hunt. Usually I pick a plan A-F. If I mess up that many times I'm just going home.

First I look at resident odds/ demand vs applicants and also NR. 2nd is research guys that have hunted it and a call to the bio. Then make a wish list of what I can draw now vs what I could possibly draw with more points. I don't have much faith in harvest data, but always take a look.

I sat down yesterday and started to pull maps and different resources and once I got a good idea then I would read that most of the u it is private. It was overwhelming to say the least. I try and watch videos and do as much research but it's a lot to take in. Thanks for all the help

Yea, private can be a gut kick.
I should have mentioned the Hunting
Fool, Epic Outdoors and Eastmans. Subscribe to one will teach you a ton on whats good vs great in the west. I use toprut also for the quick compare on odds.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.