.280AI - talk me out of it

Hi all,
let me preface this post with the fact I have never shot an Elk.
I ..hunt Mule deer..
I think the .280 AI will do both fine

Me too.
I have an elk tag.
I am taking (3) 280AI rifles, none of which I have shot yet:
1949 Win M70 Bartein barrel
1980 Sav 110 Bartein barrel
2018 Kimber 84L factory barrel

I just received the parts for my next 280AI build........
Custom ordered the action with my initials and birth year as the serial #DFL1965,
Defiance Rebel
24" SS Fluted Benchmark 1-9 twist 5R #2 contour
Timney Calvin Elite Trigger
Wildcat Stock
Talley lightweights and a scope to be determined.

You sound happy with the ABLR. I have 280AI and love it. I have thr exact same gun in 300win mag and love it.

I'm shootings both currently trying to decide which to take in October on my first elk hunt.

The 280ai is good to go with ABLR but I'm trying petitions out of it just to make sure I've got the right round. The 300win mag likes the 180 Great partitions.

Wish I had only one one these guns to force my hand. Hard decision.

I'll add not to forget that first half of your wish list will probably account for 90 percent of your kills. <100 yards means some 24-26" stick better suited to pole vaulting than hunting in the woods is just plain unhandy let alone functional. Also check how far 500 yards is when that one and only elk you see every few years and be honest with yourself. Can you deliver a perfect hit? And a good follow up? I had to pass on two bulls at 700. Wind, snow, brush and angle were against even a 50 cal. Yes, my .280 AI has a 22" barrel and I use 150 ttsx for closer work and 150 ablr's for canyons. I love it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.