Talk me into or out of buying a suppressor, please.

Excellet questions. I will try to answer.
Do you do the new electronic applications with ATF?
I do.
My experience with Silencer Shop was very positive in that regard. As I said above, there are no silencer dealers within several hundred miles of me; so I went through SS and a local FFL who had a contract with them.
Yeah. SS has obliterated most of the independent businesses, so I am not surprised that there are not many independent dealers left.
If I had just gone through the local FFL, who was new to the e-forms thing, I would have waited my 8 to 10 months and then gotten my application kicked back to me by ATF for being incorrectly filled out.
Well, I agree with you, partly. Independent dealers who do the paper applications does sometimes have troubles with quality of fingerprints and/or photographs. While the feedback loop is no where as fast as digital, it is also not anywhere close to 9 months. Typically with paper if something does not match up, and the dealer maintains good relationship with the field office, they let the dealer correct the mistake and continue as usual.
SS has an application that checks your forms before submitting it to your FFL, who then submits it to ATF. If you don't fill it out right, it won't clear it for submission. SS acts as an intermediary which checks your work. This fact saved me 9 months. That is pretty important.
No they don't. SS is mostly beneficial to dealers who does not have the finger print scanner and such. Otherwise SS has no authority to determine the legitimacy of the application or even the capability to check your application. They use the exact same backend that I use as an independent dealer. All they do it collect your prints, et all from their kiosk and use the Eforms API to upload the artifacts, exactly the same every independent dealer does. The Eforms API provides an immediate (most of the times) feedback of whether the print, photo, etc was accepted. If someone follows the paper application, then a human has to go through all that, that takes time.

As for SS putting a "barrier" between buyer and manufacturer, doesnt every store that is not a factory outlet do that?
Not really. Suppressors and such are controlled items. So your definition of barrier citing Walmart and similar retailers is not completely appropriate. That being said, for the companies I work with, if you buy from me, I work as their designated point of contact and I am contractually, ethically and financially obligated to support you and alleviate your concerns. You are of course free to talk to Thunderbeast (for example), but even if they want to directly work with you, they can't because of regulatory and logistic reasons. With SS, things become much more difficult. SS is not going to work with you directly and the dealers are not motivated to work with you for specifically the reasons I mentioned in my other post. On a similar note, if you buy some specialized equipment, say a paint sprayer, from an authorized dealer, the dealer is absolutely obligated to support you, and lots of times manufacturers will insist you go through the dealer for repairs and such.

Not just Amazon, how about Wal Mart or Optics Planet or Home Depot? Don't you put a barrier between the manufacturer and buyer yourself?
I absolutely do not and most people like me do not. Supressors, guns, etc are serialized so there is requirement of chain of control that can't be maintained (especially for NFA items) between yourself and a manufacturer without the presence of a FFL (the paper, not the person). Even if we ignore the chain of control issue, no carrier would be willing to carry a declared weapon unless a FFL (the person, not the paper) is in a prior contract with them. I am intentionally not getting into the realm of shipping undeclared firearms/suppressors/etc as it is illegal and out of scope of this post.

That is what retailers do, by definition. Just about every optic I have gotten from Amazon or Optics Planet or whoever lately has a card in the paperwork that says, if you have an issue, don't send it back to the store, send it to us at the factory.
I on the other hand, tell my customers, please bring it back to me. But if you want to talk to the manufacturer, you absolutely could. In that case, I would ask you to please let me know how I can support you.

Last edited:
OK here we go. You asked for it.

No. 1. I find it interesting that you come here, talk bad about other retailers, and then offer your "better services" to the people reading here.

2. You said "Yeah. SS [Silencer Shop] has obliterated most of the independent businesses, so I am not surprised that there are not many independent dealers left."
There were NEVER many independent silencer dealers out here in the sticks. "Obliterate"? Are you asking for special treatment because you are the "little guy", or do you believe in the free market? You know, Capitalism. America. And it is not sometoing that is easy for the part time dealer. By design, granted. But it is what it is. It is NOT Silencer Shop's fault that it is so hard to get a tax stamp.

3. With regard to the e-forms stuff, you said: "While the feedback loop is no where as fast as digital, it is also not anywhere close to 9 months."
Truth bomb: This week's feedback from applications from SilerncerShop's tracking information (it has gotten better since last August when I applied) is for a trust "3 days through 9 months, median 6 months". It was 9 months in August.

4. I said: "SS has an application that checks your forms before submitting it to your FFL, who then submits it to ATF. If you don't fill it out right, it won't clear it for submission. SS acts as an intermediary which checks your work. This fact saved me 9 months. That is pretty important."

You said: "No they don't. SS is mostly beneficial to dealers who does not have the finger print scanner and such. Otherwise SS has no authority to determine the legitimacy of the application or even the capability to check your application. They use the exact same backend that I use as an independent dealer. All they do it collect your prints, et all from their kiosk and use the Eforms API to upload the artifacts, exactly the same every independent dealer does. The Eforms API provides an immediate (most of the times) feedback of whether the print, photo, etc was accepted. If someone follows the paper application, then a human has to go through all that, that takes time."
You are wrong.
Yes they do. SS has an app and support that works to make sure your application will pass muster. I did not say they had "authority to determine the legitimacy of the application"; I said they have an app, and a web guy or guys, who review applications before they are sent to the FFL, much less to the ATF. And it works. I know this because I had at least two issues on my forms that SS's system and web guys fixed for me. Period.

5. "your definition of barrier citing Walmart and similar retailers is not completely appropriate. That being said, for the companies I work with, if you buy from me, I work as their designated point of contact and I am contractually, ethically and financially obligated to support you and alleviate your concerns. You are of course free to talk to Thunderbeast (for example), but even if they want to directly work with you, they can't because of regulatory and logistic reasons. With SS, things become much more difficult. SS is not going to work with you directly and the dealers are not motivated to work with you for specifically the reasons I mentioned in my other post. On a similar note, if you buy some specialized equipment, say a paint sprayer, from an authorized dealer, the dealer is absolutely obligated to support you, and lots of times manufacturers will insist you go through the dealer for repairs and such."

Wrong. 100% wrong.
A. If I do not get to talk to the manufacturer directly, that is a barrier. Period. YOU are a barrier.
B. You are NOT "contractually" or even "financially" obligated to your sellers. Only "ethically". YOU are a retailer. If the manufacturer made junk, it is almost entirely on them, not you. The manufacturers issue warranties, not you; though big dealers like Optics Planet, or Amazon, or Silencer Store can swing better deals where they 'offer warranties' for like 30 days. They are NOT who fix the mistakes and such.
NO RETAILER REFUNDS FOR MANUFACTURERS' MISTAKES. If Vortexsends you a broken scope through Optics Planet it is not Optics Planet that pays for the replacement. You may have a bit of an edge on "warranty" issues, in your mind, but true warranties are not issued by retailers; and the real warranties are only honored by manufacturers, not retailers, like you. If you did differently, you would go broke. It is not your place in the chain of commerce to guarantee the goods you re-sell.

6. If you cannot see how you are, in fact, putting a barrier between manufacturer and buyer by being the retailer, you are not very bright, or are being obtuse, to try to drum up customers here.
Say I go to the YYZZ website for the YYZZ silencer. They offer it to me for $500. I then go to Optics Planet, who offers it for $550. I then go to your website, who offers it to me for $600.
If I buy it from you or Optics Planet, the manufacturer (the guys who designed, tested and built the thing) gets less money. It is simple math. You have to get "your cut"; that is capitalism and retail sales. But the direct sales from the maker is the purest return on HIS (not yours) invention, development, testing, manufacturing and marketing.

You admit that you have LESS 'pull' with the manufacturers than the 'big boys', and yet present that a a virtue. So if something goes wrong with one of your sales, you have LESS pull with the manufacturer than other 'big boys'. This is NOT a plus. It is a minus. But keep trying to polish that turd.

7. Your red herring of "chain of control" does not mean anything. What are you trying to say here?
I said: "Not just Amazon, how about Wal Mart or Optics Planet or Home Depot? Don't you put a barrier between the manufacturer and buyer yourself?"
In context, not quoted out of it, I was referring to the FACT that all retail sales by RETAILERS (not manufacturers) impose a barrier between the manufacturer and the buyer. This is THAT BIG FAT % THAT IS YOUR PROFIT. And that is capitalism.

Your response was to try to red herring my words into something about "chain of control" and "NFA items" and "FFLs" and "declared weapons" and other such drivel.

Look. Here is the bottom line. You are a suppressor salesperson. You don't make or design suppressors; you sell other folks' creations.

You also do not like competition. You do like to seek business here by denigrating other businesses. And you make vague noises about having "ins" with manufacturers that the Big Boys do not.

Right.

You are not fooling me; and I hope not others.

eForm 4 - TRUST:​
3 Days through 9 Months
6 Months​

in 2014 there were 26 examiners. That number has fluctuated up and down slightly over the years.

Lets just assume it's the same...because "Government"
In 2023 there were 1,069,787 NFA Applications.
With 240 working days per year...(and let's be honest, Gov is taking off every holiday they can come up with)
That breaks down to each examiner processing 171 per day. Every day.
In a typical Gov 8 hour work day, that breaks down to a little over 21 per hour or 3.5 applications every 10 minutes.

all that and it still takes roughly 220 days per approval.

View attachment 524136View attachment 524137
I say bull.

Did find the signature example page interesting.

TBAC 338 Ultra SR. Love mine.

FWIW, mine took almost 12 months from filing trust to actually walking out the door with it from my LGS.

Excellet questions. I will try to answer.

I do.

Yeah. SS has obliterated most of the independent businesses, so I am not surprised that there are not many independent dealers left.

Well, I agree with you, partly. Independent dealers who do the paper applications does sometimes have troubles with quality of fingerprints and/or photographs. While the feedback loop is no where as fast as digital, it is also not anywhere close to 9 months. Typically with paper if something does not match up, and the dealer maintains good relationship with the field office, they let the dealer correct the mistake and continue as usual.

No they don't. SS is mostly beneficial to dealers who does not have the finger print scanner and such. Otherwise SS has no authority to determine the legitimacy of the application or even the capability to check your application. They use the exact same backend that I use as an independent dealer. All they do it collect your prints, et all from their kiosk and use the Eforms API to upload the artifacts, exactly the same every independent dealer does. The Eforms API provides an immediate (most of the times) feedback of whether the print, photo, etc was accepted. If someone follows the paper application, then a human has to go through all that, that takes time.

Not really. Suppressors and such are controlled items. So your definition of barrier citing Walmart and similar retailers is not completely appropriate. That being said, for the companies I work with, if you buy from me, I work as their designated point of contact and I am contractually, ethically and financially obligated to support you and alleviate your concerns. You are of course free to talk to Thunderbeast (for example), but even if they want to directly work with you, they can't because of regulatory and logistic reasons. With SS, things become much more difficult. SS is not going to work with you directly and the dealers are not motivated to work with you for specifically the reasons I mentioned in my other post. On a similar note, if you buy some specialized equipment, say a paint sprayer, from an authorized dealer, the dealer is absolutely obligated to support you, and lots of times manufacturers will insist you go through the dealer for repairs and such.

I absolutely do not and most people like me do not. Supressors, guns, etc are serialized so there is requirement of chain of control that can't be maintained (especially for NFA items) between yourself and a manufacturer without the presence of a FFL (the paper, not the person). Even if we ignore the chain of control issue, no carrier would be willing to carry a declared weapon unless a FFL (the person, not the paper) is in a prior contract with them. I am intentionally not getting into the realm of shipping undeclared firearms/suppressors/etc as it is illegal and out of scope of this post.

I on the other hand, tell my customers, please bring it back to me. But if you want to talk to the manufacturer, you absolutely could. In that case, I would ask you to please let me know how I can support you.

Kudos on a well written response. Your experiences with SS are similar to ours with other large companies, they want you to survive on starvation wages while offering superior customer service. It just doesn't work.

PlumberEd

Silencer Shop doesn't do anything any different than any other form retailer does regarding inaccuracies on the form submission. The system will not accept a form that is not filled out correctly.

As mentioned previously, they aren't doing anything special although they would like you to believe they do.

You'll enjoy working with Silencer Central. I initially just wanted the Banish30 and ended up buying the 30, 45, and 22! They offered 0% financing, and since I had to wait up to nine months anyway…why not? I have some lessons learned, but zero regrets!

I'm about to whip out the old credit card for the BOGO deal at Silencer Central.

It's a lot of money, and not too thrilled about the ATF having me on file.

I need y'all to talk me into it or out of it.
Banish 30 IMO is the best starter all around silencer there is out for several reasons. ( I have 2 of them)
1; It can be taken apart and cleaned which is huge. I was at a shoot school and was using one of theirs silencers and in the middle of shooting my final score which was a timed event, all of a sudden had a stiff bolt lift do to the silencer being dirty, needles to say I left two targets un-shot because of it.
2; You can adjust it to 2 different lengths depending on what you are using it for. For me when I'm shooting targets I leave it at 9" for Maximum sound and recoil benefits. Then when you want to use it for hunting you can shorten it to 6" so it doesn't snag on to things.
Caution; You need to take the time to loosen and retighten the treads between the 6" & 9" thread and ever so often apply heat treated anti-seize.
For me I will never shoot a gun again without a suppressor!
I hate with a passion Muzzle break! ( do to going to long range shoots and shooting next to muzzle breaks on both side of me.) I wear double ear protection when I go to these.
I hope this Helps

I've got two sitting in the top of my safe. For me, and I know I'm in the minority, it was a waste of time and money. They have been in the top of my safe for 2-3 years. They're heavy, make the rifle extremely nose heavy and they are ugly as hell.. Never again.

For most my life I lived where silencers were not legal. Been shooting for 65 years including military time. A few years ago, I moved to a state where they are legal. Bit the bullet and paid up with the 268 day wait.
I am vey glad I did. All the other comments considered, you will not regret shooting suppressed. I still wear earplugs when shooting heavier calibers but the difference is remarkable. Truly, subsonics like 300 blackout and 22 are Hollywood quiet.
My 300 RUM is braked so I wear plugs and a headset for that one because I want to keep
my hearing. There will always be the naysayers but you can ignore their comments.
Once you own your first suppressor, you will probably want another.

I am in the same place regarding the heat mirage. Last week while at the range one of those ratta-tat-tat guys was heating up.is suppressor so much with rapid fire that I could smell it. I though to myself...".there's no way he can see through that mirage to make good hits at 500". Just about then, as I was sitting waiting for my suppressor to cool to reduce the mirage, ratta-tat-tat guy popped the trunk of his car and deployed a battery powder Dewalt fan. He placed it on low next to his suppressor and went about his business rapid firing shots at 500, with pretty good accuracy. Hate to admit I might have learned something from that guy, but I did. Thought I would share.
Buy a Barrel cooler, They work great

''There will always be naysayers but you can ignore their comments''

Sir, your statement is almost laughable! Others offer an opinion and they are to be ignored! Spoken like a true liberal.

Merry Christmas.