Talk me into or out of buying a suppressor, please.

Lots of people do not know that you also hear through your bones and not just your eardrums. A few people have commented on over the ear, in ear hearing protection like foam plugs, electronic protection,etc, but what about the kick back from the rifle when it is connected to your shoulder? A suppressor reduces recoil and can really help with preserving your hearing. Also, while hunting, I have seen that using a suppressor throws off animals about directionality of sound and the whole herd does not high tail after the first shot.

Banish series is not my first preference. I look at it like, why on earth are they offering a BOGO if it is a fast selling item? Or, is it really they are trying to clear out old stock? I am a Thunderbeast guy and also sell those. DM me if I could be of any assistance.

Lastly, SilencerShop is very predatory. I have written about their practices earlier here: https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/ffl-form-4-not-submitted-help.343920/page-2#post-2945390

Personally, I would never endorse SilencerShop.

Also ask away any follow up questions.

Last edited:
I won't argue one way or the other, but if you have hearing loss from shooting it's your own fault for not wearing hearing protection which has been around for many many years, not counting medical conditions that couse hearing loss. Not scaring game: nice if you're shooting multiple animals in a group in succession I guess. Not bothering the neighbors: OK. You just feel like paying more tax money to the government for nothing: your choice. You want to be in on the new fad: go for it.

Why are they even controlled? Just make your own.

I don't care if people hear me shoot, even while hunting I try to get the first shot kill and even multiple shots the animals haven't ran off.

You will probably love it! I have the Banish 30 and the Banish 22. The 30 has worked well on some rifles and not so well on others. In not so well, I mean it changed my groups on one rifle from 1/2" MOA at 100 to about 2.5 MOA so I couldn't use it on that particular rifle with the load I had worked up. The other two rifles I tried it on worked wonderful and even gained a little speed. They definitely do cut down on the noise considerably from a muzzle break but you still need to wear hearing protection in most cases.

The main thing I don't like is the length it adds to your rifle barrel. If you have short barreled rifles they are great. If you are putting them on one of your older hunting rifles with a 24 or 26 inch barrel they stick up so far above your head while on your shoulder that the clouds part when you are walking on the ridges looking for deer and elk. :) Obviously a little exaggeration but you get the drift.

The point is to each his own, you will be the only one that can decide if Cans are for you. There are lots of up sides but there are some downsides as well. They're just not for me. Good luck with your decision.
I'm with Allen and agree with all his points except, "you'll probably love it." Just buy a good set of noise cancelation ear buds like the Otto Noisebarriers. Even if you buy a suppressor, you're still going to need ear protection, so why add the extra expense and hassle? I think suppressors are a fad right now. The electronic ear buds are cheaper in many, many aspects and in my opinion much better at protecting your hearing. Suppressor hassles don't end with the cost, they also need more complicated cleaning, change your POI, change your reloads, affect your trust/will, add weight, add heat, etc. Why waste your hard earned money on something that just adds more complications to your life? Just buy good ear protection. You can buy extra ear bud noise cancellation ear protection for your entire family cheaper than one suppressor for one firearm. Also you have to buy suppressors for each caliber firearm you own (22, 243, 30, 338, etc). The ear protection only needs to be purchased once for all your calibers and you're still going to need to buy ear protection even if you buy a suppressor. Don't jump on the fad band wagon.

Last edited:
Why are they even controlled? Just make your own.
Please do not ever do it. You will land in Federal prison and will lose your gun rights forever (or at least it would be really hard to restore it). I am not going to debate about the legalities of the NFA. As of the time of this writing, suppressors are illegal to own without a Form 4 and illegal to make without a Form 1. So, please do not do it.

Last edited:
I bit the bullet and ordered the Banish.

You guys are awesome for all the replies.
You will most likely be commenting on similar threads after you receive it. I would bet you will be a big promoter of suppressors going forward. Some people that live in heavy handed areas where they are not legal are really unfortunate. Some are just stubborn like I was for a long time.

I'm with Allen and agree with all his points except, "you'llprobably love it." Just buy a good set of noise cancelation ear buds like the Otto Noisebarriers. Even if you buy a suppressor, you're still going to need ear protection, so why add the extra expense and hassle?

Read about bone conduction. You can not protect your bones with earbuds.

Suppressor hassles don't end with the cost, they also need more complicated cleaning,
No they do not. Dirty suppressors actually suppress more than clean suppressors. The only thing that needs cleaning is the aperture and it gets cleaned every time you shoot. A suppressor is basically like a muffler on your car. Do you ever need to clean your muffler?

change your POI,
You are right, but if you setup your POI with the suppressor on, it will stay consistent with the suppressor on.

change your reloads,
Technically true, but only very marginally. On the other hand you might get a few additional feet/second of velocity.

affect your trust/will,
No it does not if you do it right. Set up a gun trust before you buy a suppressor and your next of kin will be just fine. Even if you buy it as an individual your next of kin can simply file a Form 5 (that is free) and then proceed with it.

add weight, etc.
Technically true. Although if you buy something nice like a Thunder Beast, weight is very nominal.

Also you have to buy suppressors for each caliber firearm you own (22, 243, 30, 338, etc)

Absolutely not true. You can buy a 338 supressor and shoot pretty much all calibers under 338. Of course a 30 cal suppressor on a 30 cal rifle will perform better than a 338 cal suppressor on a 30 cal rifle.

. The ear protection only needs to be purchased once for all your calibers and you're still going to need to buy ear protection even if you buy a suppressor. Don't jump on the fad band wagon.
I do not claim to know everything about suppressors. But please educate yourself before posting opinion.

Last edited:
Read about bone conduction. You can not protect your bones with earbuds.

No they do not. Dirty suppressors actually suppress more than clean suppressors. The only thing that needs cleaning is the aperture and it gets cleaned every time you shoot. A suppressor is basically like a muffler on your car. Do you ever need to clean your muffler?

You are right, but if you setup your POI with the suppressor on, it will stay consistent with the suppressor on.

Technically true, but only very marginally. On the other hand you might get a few additional feet/second of velocity.

No it does not if you do it right. Set up a gun trust before you buy a suppressor and your next of kin will be just fine. Even if you buy it as an individual your next of kin can simply file a Form 5 (that is free) and then proceed with it.

Technically true. Although if you buy something nice like a Thunder Beast, weight is very nominal.

Absolutely not true. You can buy a 338 supressor and shoot pretty much all calibers under 338. Of course a 30 cal suppressor on a 30 cal rifle will perform better than a 338 cal suppressor on a 338 cal rifle.

I do not claim to know everything about suppressors. But please educate yourself before posting opinion.
Obviously you jumped on the band wagon and are now trying to justify your poor choice. All my points are true. Your points don't tell the whole truths for example saying you can buy a suppressor designed for a 338 on a smaller caliber is not totally true since a 338 suppressor on a smaller caliber does not muffle as well as one designed for the smaller caliber. You can also run Volkswagen tires on your hunting truck, but that doesn't make it correct. Your other points are also half truths like the ear bone comment. On a normal hunting rifle over 90 percent of the sound is projected forward away from the shooter like a megaphone. Only when a muzzle brake is added does it negatively affect the hearing bone. Sorry I hurt your feelings for your suppressor purchases. And don't tell me what I can post, I'll post my opinion just the same as you post your opinion. You need to be more objective.

Last edited:
Obviously you jumped on the band wagon and are now trying to justify your poor choice. All my points are true.
Fair enough. I will not argue with you. If you think you are right, power to you.

Your points don't tell the whole truths for example saying you can buy a suppressor designed for a 338 on a smaller caliber is not totally true since a 338 suppressor on a smaller caliber does not muffle as well as one designed for the smaller caliber.
Well, maybe you didn't read my reply completely. I did mention a 338 cal suppressor will perform inferior on a 30 cal rifle than a 30 cal suppressor. But it can totally be used and is used all the time.

You can also run Volkswagen tires on your hunting truck, but that doesn't make it correct.
No you can not. Volkswagen uses 16" tires. I am yet to see a hunting truck that uses 16" rims. They will physically not fit.

Your other points are also half truths. Sorry I hurt your feelings for your suppressor purchases.
You did not hurt my feelings. And as I said earlier, if you think you are right, more power to you.

Lots of people do not know that you also hear through your bones and not just your eardrums. A few people have commented on over the ear, in ear hearing protection like foam plugs, electronic protection,etc, but what about the kick back from the rifle when it is connected to your shoulder? A suppressor reduces recoil and can really help with preserving your hearing. Also, while hunting, I have seen that using a suppressor throws off animals about directionality of sound and the whole herd does not high tail after the first shot.

Banish series is not my first preference. I look at it like, why on earth are they offering a BOGO if it is a fast selling item? Or, is it really they are trying to clear out old stock? I am a Thunderbeast guy and also sell those. DM me if I could be of any assistance.

Lastly, SilencerShop is very predatory. I have written about their practices earlier here: https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/ffl-form-4-not-submitted-help.343920/page-2#post-2945390

Personally, I would never endorse SilencerShop.

Also ask away any follow up questions.
Do you do the new electronic applications with ATF? My experience with Silencer Shop was very positive in that regard. As I said above, there are no silencer dealers within several hundred miles of me; so I went through SS and a local FFL who had a contract with them. If I had just gone through the local FFL, who was new to the e-forms thing, I would have waited my 8 to 10 months and then gotten my application kicked back to me by ATF for being incorrectly filled out. SS has an application that checks your forms before submitting it to your FFL, who then submits it to ATF. If you don't fill it out right, it won't clear it for submission. SS acts as an intermediary which checks your work. This fact saved me 9 months. That is pretty important.
As for SS putting a "barrier" between buyer and manufacturer, doesnt every store that is not a factory outlet do that? Not just Amazon, how about Wal Mart or Optics Planet or Home Depot? Don't you put a barrier between the manufacturer and buyer yourself? That is what retailers do, by definition. Just about every optic I have gotten from Amazon or Optics Planet or whoever lately has a card in the paperwork that says, if you have an issue, don't send it back to the store, send it to us at the factory.