Swedish Mauser question.

ZeeRo7

Took my swedish mauser out today for the first time. It is a m38 with a straight bolt and the "T" marked rear sight. My question is regards to why the rifle shot so HIGH even on the lowest setting which is 1. Im a little confused because within the yardage numbers there are finer increments and those confuse me as to which setting im on. I was making hits on steel out to 550, but still felt unsure with the rear sight setting. I also have to drift the rear sight but thats an easy fix. I was shooting Nosler 140 trophy. All in all its a sweet shooter.

These rifles are sighted with what is called a 300 meter battle sighting. That means that you can hold center mass of a man from point blank to 300 meters and hit him. Yes they will shoot 6 to 8 inches high at 100 yards. The easy fix is to order a HIGH Mauser front sight. All Mauser front sight blades will fit any Mauser. Midway USA has them as well as Brownnells (SP?) gun parts. I found the most accurate load for my rifles and then put one of the high sights on and CAREFULLY filed it down to bring the point of impact up to where I wanted it. Yes these tall front sights will make it shoot quite a bit low at 100 yards. I found that if I made the point of impact 1/2 inch low at 100 yards then i could adjust my sights in small amounts by using masking or duct tape pieces placed under the back sight elevator to fine tune things. At 100 yards a piece of masking tape raises the point of impact 1/4 inch and duct tape 1/2 inch. In case you don't understand how to adjust your windage it is done with the front sight also. You move the front sight the opposite direction that you want your bullet impact to move. If it is shooting to the right and you want it to shoot to the left just tap your front sight to the right a little and it will move the point of impact left.

Its shooting to the right, so in order to hit center or simply bring impact over to the left i drift front to the right?

Its shooting to the right, so in order to hit center or simply bring impact over to the left i drift front to the right?

Yes, move front sight in direction of impact, move rear sight opposite direction of impact.

Cheers.
gun)

Yes.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts