Mauser question

DarryH

I came across a Husqvarna A.B. in .308, and it is now on layaway. Can't recall the scope brand, but recall it being a descent quality vintage scope. I may have to send it off to have it gone through. Will see once I get it and get it cleaned up. What can anyone tell me about the gun and its quality?? Seems to be all original. No idea how the trigger is. Buying it on looks and a guess.

The Husqvarna A.B. appears to be a M98 similar but not military rifle -no thumb slot or stripper clip slot. No doubt a fine rifle, very finest steel & workmanship. Drilled & tapped. Trigger?? Please send a photo. I really like Mausers.

Husky made a number of models which included military 96 and 98 mauser, in the early fifties they introduced A commercial mauser style action, while not a exact copy of either the 96 or 98, its close enough that the some parts are interchangeable, the trigger guard floor plate from a standard 98 military or commercial action will fit, as will triggers and bolt sleeves, unlike most 98 mausers the commercial husky is a small ring style mauser and has a smaller thread diameter, the thread diameter on a standard 98 is 1.100 while the husky I believe is .990 slightly larger than that found on military small ring mausers, husky actions back in the old days were a popular choice for a light weight mountain rifle build, while I won't do it lately I've been thinking of one last build, if I were to go through with it, I'd build a 2506 on that husky action and fit it with a truly exceptional piece of fiddle back walnut I've been holding onto for over thirty years, I think I've waited to long on that one last project, enjoy the new find.

Sorry for crappy pics, had to snap them quick. I thought the A.B. was the model number. I love classics and this is one. I'm leaving it as a .308 unless the barrel is no good. Said I'd never buy another .38 special, then did. Said I'd never buy another .45 Colt, then did. Said I'd never buy another .308, and now I am.

Attachments

• Mauser1.jpg
    Mauser1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 67
  • Mauser2.jpg
    Mauser2.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Mauser3.jpg
    Mauser3.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 57
If the barrel is in good shape, I don't see why this can't be a great gun! Had one in 25-06 I took to Wyoming about thirty five years ago. Only wish I'd kept it. Little TLC on the stock, or replacement will go a long way. Also, I'll never part with my 45 ACP. Some things are just timeless.

I bought a Husky .30-06 with a fixed Leupold scope for $450 - great gun - lightweight even with a wood stock. I shoot it offhand at 85 yards every day I am in CO.

I bought it from a guy on accuratereloading. A few years later I was hunting out of Phil Shoemaker's place on the AK peninsula and discovered my guide for the hunt was the guy who sold me that rifle (I had a .375 H&H for that hunt however).

I have 4 FN Mausers, 3 JC Higgins M50's - one looks like it was a refugee from a wet garage, covered with light rust when I bought it. Most but not all rust pits were polished off then re-blued. It is now a 6.5-06.

Two looked almost new,one re-barreled to .243 & one to .280. The .243 is on its 3rd barrel, over 30 years.

The last is a bench rest type having no magazine and no opening at receiver bottom. It has been speed locked, bolt face opened and is now a .300 WM having an extended chamber allowing 3.5 COAL ammo. II have had it for 55 years. It is on its 3rd barrel.

The Husky rifle looks great. Trigger having safety vs. bolt lock type. It would need inspection. Keep & enjoy as is or re-barrel & restock. It is drilled & tapped. My Mausers have Warne bases, with Burris Sig Zee rings except for the .300 WM which has an EGW 20MOA PIC base.

Designed as battle rifles able to handle tough stuff with more than adequate safety features. Just love that controlled feed & extractor.

Thanks for the pics.

Worked on a St. Herbert's 30-06 for a friend who had it passed to him with the death of his father in law. Nice stock, fully bedded, really nice bluing. I put a Timmy trigger in for him and it shot a 1/2 moa group with Hornady 168 ELDM,s. Trigger made all the difference. Factory trigger was terrible. This rifle was made in England. Nice 98 mauser. Only issue was the rock hard butt pad. It hurt.